Followup: Fortune Forum Summit 2007

  • NHNE Wavemaker List
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2007
      NHNE Wavemakers

      EDITOR'S COMMENT:

      Well, I'm afraid the invitation for NHNE to attend this year's Fortune Forum
      Summit did not arrive in time for me fire up NHNE's private Learjet and fly
      to London. Perhaps our invitation to join the rich and famous was
      overlooked. Short of reporting, first hand, on what happened at the event, I
      was sure someone else would let the world know what the mysterious
      "discovery that could give the world access to vast quantities of energy
      with minimal damage to the climate" was that was supposed to be introduced
      "for the first time" at this year's summit:

      ENERGY BREAKTHROUGH TO BE INTRODUCED TO RICH & FAMOUS (11/30/2007):

      But I haven't heard a peep about it. If you happen to run across any
      information about this, email it in <nhne@...>. In the meantime, I've
      included a couple news stories and websites that provide more background
      information.

      --- David Sunfellow

      ------------

      Fortune Forum Website:
      http://www.fortuneforum.org/

      Fortune Forum News Coverage:
      http://www.fortuneforum.org/press.htm

      ------------

      GORE PRAISES UK'S LEADER FOR HIS BATTLE AGAINST GLOBAL WARMING
      Associated Press
      November 30, 2007

      http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/11/30/europe/EU-GEN-Britain-Al-Gore.php

      LONDON - Al Gore on Friday night praised Prime Minister Gordon Brown for his
      role in the battle against global warming.

      "I'm grateful for his leadership on the issues," the former U.S. vice
      president said during the keynote speech at the Fortune Forum Summit, an
      annual event that gathers politicians, entrepreneurs, philanthropists and
      celebrity activists to support the work of major charities.

      "I wish that was the case in my own country," the Nobel Peace Prize winner
      told the audience at London's Royal Court of Justice.

      It included public figures such as musicians Bob Geldof and Damien Rice,
      actresses Daryl Hannah and Jerry Hall, and English TV presenter David Frost.

      The event opened with a video message from Brown, which called Gore an
      "inspiration" regarding the debate over climate change.

      Brown said, "All of us must accept our share of responsibilities and work
      together to change. ... We must act now."

      The prime minister recently said he is considering whether Britain can meet
      an 80 percent cut in carbon emissions by 2050. The prime minister already
      has pledged a 60 percent reduction.

      Last month, California's Republican governor, Arnold Schwarzenegger, praised
      Conservative Party leader David Cameron for winning a global reputation by
      promoting climate change issues.

      Philanthropist Renu Mehta, the founder of the Fortune Forum Summit, said of
      global warming on Friday night: "We simply cannot continue to ignore our
      responsibility... and expect nature's bounty to continue to bless us."

      She also said in her speech: "It is indeed a pleasure to be with so many
      powerful people who do not need to be convinced to care."

      Former U.S. President Bill Clinton spoke at the inaugural 1,000-pound
      (US$2,055, €1,405) a seat Fortune Forum Summit last year.

      -------------

      THE GUEST LIST:

      Lily Cole
      Al Gore, Nobel prize winner
      Lily Cole, model
      John Bon Jovi, rock star
      Lily Allen, singer
      Bob Geldof, singer and campaigner
      Benazir Bhutto, politician
      Christian Slater, actor
      Daryl Hannah, actress
      Sir David Frost, broadcaster
      Jerry Hall, model
      Damien Rice, singer
      Bianca Jagger, campaigner
      Marie Helvin, model
      Yusuf Islam, singer (formerly Cat Stevens)
      Lady Annabel Goldsmith, socialite
      Zac Goldsmith, politician

      ------------

      HOLLYWOOD’S FULL-ON GREEN GUERRILLA
      By John-Paul Flintoff
      The Sunday Times
      December 2, 2007

      http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/celebrity/article298
      2771.ece

      To some people, the prospect of meeting Daryl Hannah, the tall and beautiful
      actress with bee-stung lips, flaxen hair and faraway look, might seem a
      treat. To me, it’s all hard work and high seriousness -- a chance to talk
      about climate change with one of the world’s foremost environmental
      activists.

      It’s strictly for this reason that I allow myself, after a decorous
      conversation over tea at her London hotel, to be dragged around the city --
      entirely on public transport -- frantically lining up on her behalf
      last-minute meetings with representatives of the UK’s green grassroots.

      Hannah, who rarely gives interviews, was in London last week to address the
      Fortune Forum summit -- alongside this year’s Nobel peace prize winner, Al
      Gore, Bob Geldof, and (on video link) Tony Blair and Gordon Brown -- with an
      audience of powerful and influential figures whose combined wealth is
      estimated at something like £100 billion.

      Through the newly formed International Clean Energy Circle, the forum,
      founded by London socialite Renu Mehta, brings together these funders and
      inventors whose ideas might help to tackle climate change.

      And that’s just what we need, says Hannah. “We are in crisis. Species are
      dying by the bucket-load and people are suffering in vast numbers. But there
      is good news. I’ve learnt about so many really exciting and positive things
      happening to turn the tide.”

      Hannah was an early adopter of biofuels. Her home in Colorado has passive
      and active solar systems. She is a keen knitter, keeps bees, and in her
      organic garden she grows enough to supply her own needs and to sell at a
      farmers’ market.

      On her web TV channel, Daryl Hannah Love Life <http://www.dhlovelife.com/>,
      to which you can subscribe through iTunes, she uploads weekly, five-minute
      films showcasing these and other climate solutions. But unlike many
      environmental campaigns, it is almost unrelentingly cheerful.

      At home she drives a farm tractor, a GMC truck and a Chev-rolet El Camino,
      running them all on biodiesel. One film on her website shows her licking the
      cap on her fuel tank, as a demonstration that the reused chip fat she burns
      is no more toxic than salt or maple syrup.

      Naturally, she doesn’t favour biofuels produced at the expense of rainforest
      or valuable crop land, and recently took delivery of 2,000 gallons of rancid
      oil from a beauty supplier. “So I have two years of fuel. It’s hemp oil.”

      She spoke about hemp at the forum. George Washington and Thomas Jefferson
      both grew the wonder crop, and the American constitution was written on
      paper made of hemp. Indeed, an expert told her: “Everything that isn’t made
      of glass or metal can be made out of hemp . . . everything.” But growing it,
      in the UK and America, is illegal.

      “Hemp is a weed, it grows like a weed. It can be made as soft as cotton and
      it doesn’t need all that water, or pesticides.” Every cotton T-shirt, she
      says, uses nine years of one person’s drinking water -- one year to grow the
      cotton and the rest in processing. “We have to be conscious about what we
      buy. We have to move towards things that will work just as well, but will be
      better for you and your loved ones.”

      Hannah subscribes to the green movement with almost religious fervour. When
      I meet people like this, I always wonder what motivates them. Religion?
      Chicago-born Hannah was raised a Catholic, but “flunked the catechism”. “I
      took the tenets to heart. I asked why we couldn’t take the gold from the
      ceiling and give it to the poor. If you ask questions that means you don’t
      have faith. And they didn’t like me colouring in the pictures in my Bible.”

      She saw her parents divorce when she was seven, but developed a close
      relationship with her late stepfather, a property tycoon. At school, her
      striking appearance won her few friends. She often came home crying. Another
      problem was a tendency to daydream. “I maybe had Asperger’s. It wasn’t
      widely understood at the time.”

      Her shyness is legendary. She hid that for years by taking refuge in the
      parts she played, but off-camera she hates publicity. This is a woman who
      once required tranquillising to appear at the Oscars. She has acted in more
      than 40 films, most recently making a big impression as the eyepatch-wearing
      assassin in Quentin Tarantino’s Kill Bill films.

      Some years ago, she researched a film role by working undercover in a strip
      club for five months. “It was mortifying,” she says, “but better than having
      to sit on a talk show in front of an audience and have idle cocktail chat
      with the presenter.”

      She’s particularly uncomfortable talking about her private life. She had a
      10-year relationship with the singer Jackson Browne, and subsequently lived
      with the late John F Kennedy Jr for three years. She’s currently single and
      has said she would like to be a mother but thinks children benefit from
      having two parents. She says she may one day adopt the kind of child who is
      usually overlooked, from a difficult background, or older than most would-be
      parents desire.

      Like other celebrities who espouse causes -- and adopt children -- Hannah is
      bound to attract flak. She says she’s not worried. “People can and will say
      whatever they want. I think it’s a good idea to practise what you preach.
      But I also try not to preach. For years I just did this stuff and didn’t
      talk about it. I only started to speak out after 9/11 when I saw that my
      country was going to war over oil. There are other ways to get around, to
      move your body from one place to another!”

      Did she really have to fly to London to address the Fortune Forum? Couldn’t
      she, like Tony Blair and Gordon Brown, have submitted a video?

      “Travel is one of the most harmful things, in terms of greenhouse gases. But
      there is something invaluable about meeting people face to face. People
      might ask, why should they go to a dinner to watch somebody on tape?” With
      guests paying many thousands to attend Friday’s event, that’s a reasonable
      question.

      “For me, one thing that needs to happen is self-reliance and local
      economies. Always support the local community if you can. If you can’t grow
      your own food, support your local farmers’ market. And if somebody is making
      clothes in your community, that is better than somebody using slave labour
      in China.

      “Corporate marketing tells us that we have to wash our clothes with this or
      it won’t get the dirt out. And we’re told to clean our floors or dishes with
      something that is actually toxic to children. People buy what they’re sold.
      They don’t realise that they have the power to make another choice.”

      The most important thing, says Hannah, is to reform the way we measure
      success. “I’m doing the opposite of what most people do. I’m not moving to
      bigger houses and cars. I’m thinking of moving to a smaller place. And I
      like the idea of a less permanent structure. With the fires in California
      recently, I started to think that maybe a permanent structure is not
      necessarily the ideal.

      “I have done it before. I lived in a tepee for two years while I was
      rebuilding my house. It was great. I highly recommend it. I had a desk with
      all my books, a queen-sized bed, a kitchen area. And I had a lockbox because
      you can’t lock a tepee, so I could put away valuables and my guitar.
      (Similar tepees are available for sale on her website.)

      We arrive at the 10th-floor, tower-block HQ of London’s chief guerrilla
      gardener, Richard Reynolds, leader of a group that plants flowers and shrubs
      on derelict land. After a quick chat, he takes Hannah to see a field of
      lavender he planted with friends on a traffic island, presents her with a
      homemade cushion filled with lavender and tells her he already rather
      cheekily signed her up as an unofficial member of his online posse after she
      was arrested in Los Angeles, in the summer, for her part in a campaign to
      save a community farm in South Central LA.

      She’d been hanging in a tree for three weeks and was one of the last people
      removed from the site, converted to an allotment after the riots of the
      early 1990s.

      “I’m still very upset that we could not save the farm,” she says, taking her
      Guerrilla Gardeners membership card. “It’s exactly the kind of thing we need
      right now. People say adopting a low-carbon lifestyle is expensive, but here
      were people who did not have a lot of money, growing medicinal and organic
      food for local consumption in one of the most polluted and dangerous parts
      of the city. It’s exactly what we need to replicate, and it was destroyed.”

      http://www.nhne.org/tabid/1044/Default.aspx

      To visit our mother ship:
      http://www.nhne.org/

      To join visit our online community: