Placebo's Power Goes Beyond The Mind

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 23, 2006

      PLACEBO'S POWER GOES BEYOND THE MIND
      SCIENTISTS TAP INTO FAKE PILL'S EFFECTS TO HELP REAL PAINS
      By Linda Carroll
      MSNBC
      August 21, 2006

      http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14309026/

      Even though medical researchers told Chuck Park that he might be getting a
      sugar pill, the 30-year-old software producer was pretty sure he was getting
      the real thing. Just a few weeks into the clinical trial, Park¹s depression
      started to lift. He began to feel less anxious and sad.

      So when Park learned he¹d been taking a placebo all along, it was a
      surprise.

      ³I was fully expecting to receive the real drug even though I knew that the
      placebo was a possibility,² remembers Park of Culver City, Calif. ³I guess I
      wanted it to work -- and in a way, it did.

      For years, scientists have looked at the placebo effect as just a figment of
      overactive patient imaginations. Sure, dummy medications seemed to curb
      epileptic seizures, lower blood pressure, soothe migraines and smooth out
      jerky movements in Parkinson's -- but these people weren't really better. Or
      so scientists thought.

      Now, using PET scanners and MRIs to peer into the heads of patients who
      respond to sugar pills, researchers have discovered that the placebo effect
      is not "all in patients' heads" but rather, in their brains. New research
      shows that belief in a dummy treatment leads to changes in brain chemistry.

      "There have always been people who have said that we could make ourselves
      better by positive thinking,² says Dr. Michael Selzer, professor of
      neurology at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine. ³After
      pooh-poohing this for years, here are studies that show that our thoughts
      may actually interact with the brain in a physical way."

      New insights into how placebos work may even help scientists figure out how
      to harness the effect and teach people to train their own brains to help
      with healing.

      Mind over brain matter

      Recent reports show that anticipation of relief from a placebo can lead to
      an actual easing of aches, when the brain makes more of its own pain-dousing
      opiates. Brain scans of Parkinson¹s patients show increases in a chemical
      messenger called dopamine, which leads to an improvement in symptoms when
      patients think -- mistakenly -- that they are receiving real therapy.

      And studies in depressed patients like Park have found that almost as many
      are helped by placebo treatments as by actual medications. In fact, as it
      turns out, a person¹s response to placebo treatment may offer clues as to
      whether ³real² treatments with antidepressants are likely to work.

      Researchers are just starting to appreciate the power that the mind can have
      over the body, says Tor Wager, an assistant professor of psychology at
      Columbia University.

      ³An emerging idea right now is that belief in a placebo taps into processes
      in your brain that produce physical results that really shape how your body
      responds to things,² he says. ³The brain has much more control over the body
      than we can voluntarily exert.²

      As an example of this, Wager points to the body¹s response to perceived
      threats.

      ³Say it¹s late at night and everything is quiet and then suddenly you see
      someone outside, near a window,² he explains. ³Your body starts to respond.
      Your pupils dilate. Your heart rate goes up. You start to sweat.²

      The belief that something threatening is out there produces a host of
      physical responses that you have little control over. If you were told to
      calm down and turn off these sensations, you couldn¹t, Wager says. ³But if
      the belief changes -- say, it turns out that it¹s just your husband coming
      home -- the physical response changes.²

      The question, now, is how to tap into these powerful, unconscious responses,
      Wager says.

      Brain waves may hold key

      At the University of California at Los Angeles, placebo-treated volunteers
      were hooked up to an electroencephalograph (EEG), a device that records the
      brain¹s electrical activity. After a week of sugar pills, the volunteers
      were then given either more placebos or an actual antidepressant. They
      weren¹t told which type of pill they received.

      Eight weeks later, researchers scrutinized the brain waves recorded by the
      EEG back when all the volunteers were taking placebos. The UCLA scientists
      discovered something intriguing: The people who got the most benefit from
      the actual medication had a specific pattern of brain waves when they were
      being treated with placebos.

      Those results were described in a study published this month in the American
      Journal of Psychiatry. Researchers haven¹t figured out yet what the specific
      pattern of brain waves mean, but the study does show how patients might be
      inexpensively screened with an EEG to show doctors who is most likely to
      respond to antidepressant medications, says the report¹s lead author Aimee
      M. Hunter, a research associate at the Semel Institute for Neuroscience and
      Human Behavior at UCLA.

      Teaching patients to soothe themselves

      Meanwhile, at Stanford University, scientists figured there must be a way to
      harness the placebo response to help patients soothe their own pain.

      The researchers rigged up an MRI so that people could watch real-time images
      of their brains, while lying in the scanner. The idea was to use the images
      to teach study volunteers to consciously pump up activity in parts of the
      brain activated by the placebo effect, says Dr. Sean Mackey, associate
      director of Stanford¹s pain management division and director of its
      neuroimaging and pain lab.

      One of those volunteers, Laura Tibbitts, signed up for the study in hopes
      that she might be able to find a way to quiet the constant, permanent pain
      that descended after her right shoulder and arm were smashed in a riding
      accident eight years earlier.

      ³Pain is not in the muscles or the arm that may be injured,² Mackey says.
      ³The pain is in our brains.²

      A signal starts out at an injured site and travels up to the brain, Mackey
      explains. But, until the brain interprets that electrical signal, you don¹t
      actually ³feel² pain.

      Part of what goes into the brain¹s interpretation is expectation, Mackey
      says. ³I think of the placebo response, at least in part, as a manipulation
      of expectancy. And perhaps by changing the expectancy and bumping up the
      placebo response we might be able to ultimately find a way to provide
      sustained therapy for chronic pain.²

      Lying back in the scanner watching images of her brain, Tibbitts was told to
      conjure up memories of her pain on the day of the accident. Later, she was
      instructed to think soothing thoughts. ³I imagined little people scooping
      away the pain, trying to rescue me,² the 32-year-old San Francisco resident
      says. ³Or I thought about water or snowflakes putting the fire out.²

      Empowering experiment

      Through trial and error, Tibbitts determined which kinds of thoughts fired
      up and turned down the brain regions that Mackey said were linked to her
      pain. The mental pictures had an impact.

      And the newfound control over pain levels was empowering, Tibbitts says.

      ³I think the most incredible thing was to see that scan of my brain
      constantly producing pain,² she adds. ³And then to actually gain control
      over the pain, to see that I had that power -- even when I was making myself
      feel worse -- was amazing to me.²

      ACUPUNCTURE, REAL OR FAKE, MAY HELP MIGRAINES (5/3/2005):

      FIRST GLIMPSE OF MECHANISTIC EXPLANATION FOR PLACEBO EFFECT (5/19/2004):

      COUGH MEDICINES 'NO MORE EFFECTIVE THAN PLACEBOS' (6/24/2002):

      PLACEBOS FIGHT DEPRESSION AS WELL AS DRUGS (5/8/2002):

      THE NOCEBO EFFECT: PLACEBO'S EVIL TWIN (5/2/2002):

      THE PLACEBO EFFECT: THE POWER OF NOTHING (5/26/2001):

      NHNE Website: http://www.nhne.org/

      https://secure.groundspring.org/dn/index.php?aid=8173