18083Shadow: An App To Record The Dreams Of Humankind

    Sep 22 11:50 PM

      To keep up with NHNE's daily dose of news, videos, quotes, photos, and
      more, go here:
      http://www.facebook.com/newheavennewearth

      ABOUT SHADOW

      http://nhne-pulse.org/shadow-app-for-dreams/

      http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hunterleesoik/shadow-community-of-dreamers

      ??Sleep on it.??

      We??ve heard it before -- this incitement to hit pause on a complex
      challenge, to let your brain work its magic, to give what??s troubling
      you over to Steinbeck??s ??committee of sleep.??

      And it works. Our brain is an incredibly creative problem solver. And
      some parts of it are most active while we??re sleeping. Electricity,
      Frankenstein??s monster, nonviolent resistance, laser technology -- all
      of these were conceived in dreams. Sleep is where some of humanity??s
      most incredible creations got their start. Yet, we forget 95% of our
      dreams within five minutes of waking up. That??s a huge amount of data --
      with unfathomable of potential -- we forget each day, all because we
      don??t have a good way to record and understand it. What would happen if
      we remembered? Even better, what if we learned to make sense of it?
      We??re here to find out.

      The dream ecosystem has incredible potential to bring us together, and
      it??s been ignored long enough. Scientists understand the neurology of
      sleep, but not the content of dreams. We have a scientific explanation
      for what??s happening in our brains, but no way of figuring out what it
      all means. We want to build SHADOW to bridge the gap. What do we dream
      about during a thunderstorm? After an election? Before a disaster? Do
      celebrities really dream differently than the rest of us? We think these
      questions hold amazing truths about how interconnected we really are.
      And that??s why we??re asking for your help to build SHADOW...

      Shadow Kickstarter
      http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hunterleesoik/shadow-community-of-dreamers

      Shadow Website
      http://discovershadow.com/

      Shadow on Facebook (Hunter Lee Soik)
      https://www.facebook.com/hunterleesoik

      SHADOW APP WANTS TO BUILD A DATABASE OF YOUR (AND EVERYONE ELSE'S) DREAMS
      By Dino Grandoni
      Huffington Post
      September 19, 2013

      http://nhne-pulse.org/shadow-app-for-dreams/

      http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/19/shadow-app-dreams_n_3943897.html

      Every morning, sleep researchers lose an enormous data set as people
      wake up and have their first cup of coffee.

      Nightly dreams go largely forgotten, making the sort of broad questions
      scientists ask about them difficult to answer. Do the rich dream
      differently than the poor? Do our nighttime thoughts differ from city to
      city, or from country to country?

      The makers of a new app think they have an elegant solution to not only
      help people remember their own dreams, but to build a database of these
      unconscious thoughts that can be shared among friends and used by
      scientists to gain a better understanding of what we think about when we
      sleep.

      SHADOW, a Kickstarter project launched by Hunter Lee Soik and Jason
      Carvalho this week, would combine an alarm clock with a dream journal.
      The app would use an "escalating alarm" to gently and gradually bring
      you out of a dream into the "hypnopompic state" between sleep and
      wakefulness during which dreams are best remembered. From there, the app
      would prompt you to record your dreams by voice or text, so that they
      can be archived for posterity (or just for your therapist).

      The pair is asking donors to choose to contribute toward an iOS, Android
      or Windows Phone version of the app, with the winning platform to be
      built first.

      Much like fitness or money-management apps born of the "quantified self"
      movement, SHADOW turns dreams into yet another set of personal data to
      be picked apart by cloud-based computers. Perhaps you have bad dreams
      when your bank account dips below a certain amount, Soik suggested. Or
      maybe you dream pleasantly after taking more than 10,000 steps in a day.
      Such a digital dreamcatcher, in tandem with other apps, could tease out
      those patterns.

      "We don't really know what's out there because we've never been there,"
      Soik said.

      The app's data-gathering potential may also be a dream come true for
      sleep scientists and dream researchers. Current clinical studies of
      dreams have maybe a few dozen participants each. An app like SHADOW
      could offer researchers hundreds or thousands of cases to analyze.

      If SHADOW grows large enough, Soik plans to encourage researchers to
      request and analyze users' dream data, with push notifications sent to
      dreamers so they can grant permission. SHADOW is taking initial steps
      toward such a project by signing on six sleep scientists as advisors.

      Siok, a former creative consultant on Kayne West and Jay-Z's "Watch the
      Throne" tour, said he got the idea for the app when he took a six-month
      break from work and started catching up on his sleep. He found he wanted
      to write down his dreams, but there was no app on the market to meet his
      needs, he said.

      "It snowballed from me falling back in love with sleep to wanting to
      have dream app for myself," he said.

      SHADOW's default setting keeps all dream data private, but the team
      hopes to build out a more social network, one that could feed users the
      number of other people who dreamed about the same topic, say, or
      snippets from publicly available dreams.

      That raises at least one disconcerting prospect: SHADOW might reveal
      that your dreams aren't that interesting or original after all.

      RELATED LINK:

      Pulse on Dreams
      http://nhne-pulse.org/dreams/

      David Sunfellow
      Founder & President
      NewHeavenNewEarth (NHNE)
      nhne@...

      To subscribe to NHNE's News List, send a message to:
      nhnenews-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      To unsubscribe to NHNE's News List, send a message to:

      To support NHNE
      http://bit.ly/1UPp8x

      NewHeavenNewEarth (NHNE)
      http://nhne.org

      How Near-Death Experiences Are Changing The World
      http://goo.gl/wWEM3

      NHNE NDE
      http://nhne-nde.org

      NHNE NDE Resource Center & Social Network
      http://nhneneardeath.ning.com

      NHNE Pulse NDE Resource Page
      http://nhne-pulse.org/resource_pages/near-death-experiences/

      NDE Stories