Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

18073Roswell's Jesse Marcel Jr. Dead At 76

Expand Messages
  • NHNE News
    Sep 1 11:00 AM
      NHNE Wavemaker News List
      Current Members: 541

      To keep up with NHNE's daily dose of news, videos, quotes, photos, and
      more, go here:

      Subscribe / unsubscribe / important links at the bottom of this message.


      By Amy Beth Hanson
      Associated Press
      August 28, 2013



      Dr. Jesse Marcel Jr., who said he handled debris from the 1947 crash of
      an unidentified flying object near Roswell, N.M., has died at the age of 76.

      Denice Marcel said her father was found dead at his home in Helena on
      Saturday, less than two months after making his last trip to Roswell. He
      had been reading a book about UFOs.

      Over the past 35 years, Marcel Jr. appeared on TV shows, documentaries
      and radio shows; was interviewed for magazine articles and books, and
      traveled the world lecturing about his experiences in Roswell.

      "He was credible. He wasn't lying. He never embellished -- only told
      what he saw," his wife Linda said.

      Marcel's father was an Air Force intelligence officer and reportedly the
      first military officer to investigate the wreckage in early July 1947.
      Marcel Jr. said he was 10 when his father brought home some of the
      debris, woke him up in the middle of the night and said the boy needed
      to look at it because it was something he would never see again.

      His father maintained the debris "was not of this Earth," Linda Marcel
      said. "They looked through the pieces, tried to make sense of it."

      The item that Marcel Jr. said fascinated him the most was a small beam
      with some sort of purple-hued hieroglyphics on it, she said.

      After an initial report that a flying saucer had been recovered on a
      ranch near Roswell, the military issued a statement saying the debris
      was from a weather balloon.

      "They were told to keep it quiet and they did for years and years and
      years," Linda Marcel said. Interest in the case was revived, however,
      when physicist and UFO researcher Stanton Friedman spoke with Jesse
      Marcel Sr. in the late 1970s.

      Friedman wrote the foreword to Marcel Jr.'s 2007 book "The Roswell
      Legacy," and described him as a courageous man who "set a standard for
      honesty and decency and telling the truth."

      "His legacy is that he had the courage to speak out when he didn't have
      to about handling wreckage that his Dad brought home," Friedman said
      Tuesday. "He worked with artists to come up with what the symbols on the
      wreckage looked like. He didn't have to do that. He could have kept his
      mouth shut. A lot of people did."

      On his last trip to Roswell in early July, UFO researcher and Earth
      science professor Frank Kimbler arranged for Marcel to visit his
      childhood home and the debris site.

      "I remember my dad did say that he loved the ride up to the site that
      day because he was able to discuss science with Frank," Denice Marcel
      said in an email to The Associated Press. "One thing about my Dad, he
      was always reading something on astronomy or some kind of scientific
      journal. He loved astronomy with a passion."

      Marcel Jr. graduated from medical school at Louisiana State University
      School of Medicine in 1961 and joined the U.S. Navy in 1962. He retired
      after nine years and later joined the Montana Army National Guard and
      became a flight surgeon in 1981. He was called back to active duty in
      October 2004 and served as a flight surgeon in Iraq for just over a
      year. He reached the rank of colonel.

      He worked as an ear, nose and throat doctor and retired from the
      Veterans Administration Hospital at Fort Harrison, west of Helena, all
      of which lent credibility to his story.

      "I know that one of the things that Dad would love to say is, `If we are
      the only ones here then there is an awful lot of wasted space out
      there,'" Denice Marcel said. "He wasn't the first one to say this, but
      he did believe it. He also believed that everyone needed to know the
      truth, and that the Roswell Incident was a real event and that it was
      time for the cover-up to stop."

      He is survived by his wife and eight children. Funeral services are pending.


      The Telegraph
      August 30, 2013



      Jesse Marcel was nearly 11 in early July 1947 when a rancher called
      ??Mac?? Brazel found some odd-looking metallic debris littering a sheep
      pasture in a remote area of New Mexico. On July 6 he took some of the
      debris to Roswell -- the nearest big town -- and presented it to the
      local sheriff, who turned it over to officials at the Roswell Army Air
      Force base.

      The next day, Brazel led two officers, including Marcel??s father, Major
      Jesse Marcel, an intelligence officer with the 509th Bomb Group, to the
      field where the debris was scattered. They spent all day picking up
      pieces and then returned to Roswell.

      On the way back to the base, Major Marcel stopped at his house to show
      the debris to his wife and young son. Jesse Jr recalled his father
      waking him late at night so that he could see pieces of a ??flying
      saucer??: metal foil, chunks of what looked like Bakelite plastic, and a
      lightweight beam inscribed with mysterious purplish hieroglyphs.

      Marcel gave the debris to the Roswell base commander Colonel William
      Blanchard, who summoned the base public relations officer and told him
      to issue a press release: ??Basically say that we have in our possession
      a flying saucer,?? he said.

      The next day??s headline in the local paper, ??RAAF Captures Flying Saucer
      on Ranch in Roswell Region??, brought phone calls from all over the world
      and the authorities quickly changed their story. On July 9 the press
      reported that Brigadier-General Roger Ramey -- commander of the 8th Air
      Force base in Fort Worth, Texas -- had explained that the ??flying
      saucer?? was nothing more mysterious than a weather balloon.

      The incident was more or less forgotten until 1978, when a UFO
      researcher called Stanton Friedman went to interview Jesse Marcel Sr,
      who insisted that he really had found a flying saucer, but that his
      superiors had covered it up and ordered everyone who came into contact
      with the UFO never to talk about it. Subsequently (Major Marcel died in
      1986) other witnesses came forward to corroborate his story, with some
      even claiming that alien bodies had been found in the wreckage -- small,
      humanoid figures with large heads and huge, slanted almond-shaped eyes.

      A local funeral director claimed to have received two mysterious phone
      calls on July 7 1947 from someone claiming to be a mortuary officer: ??He
      said he needed to know how many two-foot-six-inch hermetically sealed
      baby caskets were in stock. Then he called back to ask about what
      embalming fluids would do to a body.?? A nurse at a local hospital
      claimed to have seen autopsies performed on 4ft-tall aliens.

      The stories eventually led to the publication of a book, The Roswell
      Incident (1980), which, with the release of the film ET (1982), helped
      ignite an explosion of interest in all things extraterrestrial. Over the
      next 30 years the ??Roswell Incident?? would grow into a huge commercial
      phenomenon, making millions for film companies, writers -- and not least
      the town of Roswell, which hosts two museums and an annual UFO festival.
      The association proved lucrative, too, for Marcel Jr, who appeared on
      numerous television and radio shows, went on lecture tours and in 2007
      published The Roswell Legacy, in which he continued to insist that the
      wreckage had an extraterrestrial origin -- he even provided artists??
      impressions of the mysterious hieroglyphs.

      In the 1990s, however, the American military came up with an admission
      which was, in its way, even more fascinating than the UFO story. The
      Pentagon admitted that General Ramey had not been telling the whole
      truth when he said that the pieces came from an ordinary weather
      balloon. In fact, they came from a 700ft string of weather balloons,
      radar reflectors and acoustic sensors that had been launched on June 4
      1947 as part of a top-secret experiment to eavesdrop on Soviet nuclear
      weapons tests -- called Project Mogul. As for the hieroglyphs Marcel Jr
      remembered, these bore a striking resemblance to purple symbols on the
      tape that was used to reinforce the Project Mogul radar reflectors. The
      reflectors had been made by a toy company which, because of wartime
      materials shortages, used novelty tape they had in stock.

      As for Major Marcel??s testimony, Captain Sheridan Cavitt, a fellow
      intelligence officer who had accompanied him on his foray into the New
      Mexican desert, used his release from his oath of secrecy to pour cold
      water on the UFO theory: ??You had to know Marcel,?? he said. ??He was a
      wild Cajun from Louisiana. He made a lot of claims he couldn??t back up.
      He was a one-of-a-kind.??

      But Marcel Jr was having none of it, telling the interviewer Larry King
      that the debris could not have been from any sort of weather balloon --
      ??even a Mogul balloon... because the material was totally different??. It
      was, he maintained ??something that came from another civilisation??.

      Jesse Marcel Jr was born on August 30 1936 in Houston, Texas, and served
      as a medical officer in the US Navy from 1962, becoming a specialist in
      ear, nose and throat surgery. After retiring from the Navy in 1971 he
      opened a medical practice in Helena, Montana. In 1975 he became a
      medical officer in the Montana National Guard and earned his flight
      surgeon wings (flight surgeons at the time were allowed to fly solo in
      helicopters) at Fort Rucker, Alabama. He was appointed State Surgeon of
      of Montana and retired from the military in 1996.

      During Operation Iraqi Freedom he was called up again for active service
      and, from September 2004, spent 13 months as a flight surgeon with the
      189th Helicopter Battalion in Iraq, reaching the rank of colonel.

      He is survived by his wife, Linda, and by eight children.

      Jesse Marcel Jr, born August 30 1936, died August 23 2013.



      Jesse Marcel Jr. Website

      Jesse Marcel Jr. on Coast-To-Coast-AM

      Wikipedia on Roswell UFO Incident

      Pulse on UFOs and Extraterrestrials


      David Sunfellow
      Founder & President
      NewHeavenNewEarth (NHNE)
      Phone: (928) 239-4133
      Fax: (815) 642-0117

      To subscribe to NHNE's News List, send a message to:

      To unsubscribe to NHNE's News List, send a message to:

      To support NHNE

      NewHeavenNewEarth (NHNE)

      How Near-Death Experiences Are Changing The World

      NHNE NDE

      NHNE NDE Resource Center & Social Network

      NHNE Pulse NDE Resource Page

      NDE Stories

      NHNE NDE on Facebook

      NHNE NDE on Google+

      P.O. Box 2242
      Sedona, AZ 86339 USA