NHL, players wrap up three days of talks

  • Gary gentile
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 4, 2005
      Toronto � Marathon talks will continue next week after the NHL and NHL
      Players' Association wrapped up more than 36 hours of talks this week.
      The two sides met from 8 a.m. EDT to just before 10 p.m. at a downtown
      Toronto hotel on Friday, on the heels of 10-hour sessions Wednesday and
      Thursday.
      It's not going to happen overnight but the feeling in both camps is that a
      deal appears possible in the next month or so although talks could still hit
      a snag.
      "We continued our discussions on financial and accounting issues, and while
      we are making progress, we still have a lot of work to do," said NHL
      executive vice-president Bill Daly. "The parties have agreed to continue the
      process with a series of meetings next week, at which time we hope to begin
      discussing a myriad of other CBA issues."
      While progress has been slow but steady, the two sides continue to plug
      away at it. Friday's meeting was the 19th session since the season was
      canceled Feb. 16.
      The NHLPA roster Friday featured executive director Bob Goodenow, senior
      director Ted Saskin, outside counsel John McCambridge, associate counsel Ian
      Pulver, director of business relations Mike Gartner, Detroit Red Wings
      veteran player Brendan Shanahan, and the players' executive committee:
      president Trevor Linden and vice-presidents Vincent Damphousse, Bill Guerin,
      Daniel Alfredsson, Arturs Irbe, Trent Klatt and Bob Boughner.
      Representing the league Friday was commissioner Gary Bettman, Daly, Boston
      Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs, outside counsel Bob Batterman, NHL general
      counsel David Zimmerman, lawyer Shep Goldfein, director of hockey operations
      Colin Campbell, New Jersey Devils CEO and GM Lou Lamoriello, board of
      governors chairman Harley Hotchkiss of the Calgary Flames, Nashville
      Predators owner Craig Leipold, league CFO Craig Harnett and Senior VP,
      Finance, Joe DeSousa.