NHL owners not idle

  • GaryBayside@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 17, 2005
      NHL owners not idle
      By Lance Hornby
      From The London Free Press

      Toronto -- NHL owners aren't likely to wait for the outcome of new talks
      with the players before proceeding with their own plans for 2005-2006. Although
      the second meeting in less than a week is scheduled today, likely in New
      York, Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Ltd. president Richard Peddie says his
      team has begun gearing up for a new season, no matter who ends up wearing
      blue and white in October.

      "Naturally I'd like to tell you we have a deal [with the union] and we'd
      like to start playing now," Peddie said yesterday. "But we have to begin the
      job of marketing and selling our Leafs. We're working on the premise that
      there will be Leaf hockey and players with Leafs sweaters on."

      Without using the contentious term "replacement players," the NHL said at
      its most recent board of governors meeting that it planned to operate business
      as usual next season.

      A Rogers Sportsnet report yesterday said another board meeting is scheduled
      for April 20, at which time it is likely the replacement player plan would be
      outlined by commissioner Gary Bettman.

      Sportsnet also said a second memo has been circulated to the 30 teams,
      telling them the window to negotiate a new deal is only two weeks before the
      league takes steps to have the collective bargaining process declared at an
      impasse.

      Bob Goodenow, the union's executive director, is expected at today's meeting
      again, along with Bettman and top lieutenants on each side.