Stars LW Kirk Muller announced retirement

  • Almost Human
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 2003
      TORONTO (Ticker) - Dallas Stars left wing Kirk Muller, who was selected second overall in the 1984 draft, on Tuesday announced his retirement.

      Muller spent the last four seasons with Dallas and had one goal, five assists and 18 penalty minutes in 55 games in 2002-03. He also appeared in each of the Stars' 12 playoff games, recording one goal, one assist and eight penalty minutes.

      "I want to thank all my teammates, coaches, fans and the media for 19 years of great memories while playing the game I love," Muller said.

      The 37-year-old Muller was selected by the New Jersey Devils and spent his first seven seasons with them, helping the club to three playoff appearances. He was traded to the Montreal Canadiens in September 1991 and two years later won the Stanley Cup with hockey's most storied franchise. In the 1992-93 season, Muller matches his career high with 94 points and also collected 10 goals and seven assists in 20 playoff games.

      Muller, a Kingston, Ontario native, also played with the New York Islanders, Toronto Maple Leafs and Florida Panthers. In 1,349 career games, he had 357 goals, 602 assists and 1,223 penalty minutes.

      "For me, coming from Kingston, just watching him grow up and play you could see how good he was," Muller's former teammate, Doug Gilmour, said. "We became good friends and I had the opportunity to play with him in Toronto. To play 19 years in this league, that's a great career."

      A six-time All-Star, Muller was a playmaking center for the majority of his career, but was effective as a checking winger his last few seasons with Dallas. In 127 playoff games, he had 33 goals and 36 assists.

      "It was great to be able to start out with Kirk in New Jersey and then have the opportunity to play again together in Dallas late in our career," former teammate John MacLean said. "I doubt anyone will come along that enjoyed the game of hockey or played with the same passion that Kirk did, he had unbelievable intensity."

      Collectibles- NASCAR, NHL, Teddy Bears
      http://www.pakratstar.com

      NHL, Britney Spears, Colin Farrell, Pamela Anderson, Ashton Kutcher, Jennifer Lopez, Ben Affleck & more
      http://members.shaw.ca/almosthuman99