Angiogenesis and Waldenstrom's (low grade lymphoma)

  • Matt960@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 29, 1998
      I found this medline article written in 1980 (almost 18 years ago), in which
      (if I understand it correctly), it seems to imply that lymphocytes in certain
      types of hematological malignancies create their own blood vessels. While it
      is very technical, it would be helpful if many of you could show this to your
      own oncologists. This might be a forgotten article which could help
      establish that the new angiogenesis drugs might work in lymphomas. If this is
      true, I wonder if it means that the new angiogenesis drugs might work on them.
      The article follows: --Matt--

      <Picture: Help><Picture: Log off IGM>
      <Picture: Next Record><Picture: Return to Results><Picture: Return to Search
      Screen><Picture: Previous Record>

      ----TITLE: Lymphadenopathy associated with dysgammaglobulinemia.AUTHOR:
      Pruzanski WSOURCE: Semin Hematol 1980 Jan;17(1):44-62CITATION IDS: PMID:
      6767275 UI: 80147513ABSTRACT: Conditions in which lymphadenopathy is
      associated with dysgammaglobulinemia may be divided into two groups: those in
      which etiologic factors and pathogenesis are well established, and those which
      are still a medical dilemma. Only a few belong to the former group:
      infections, immunizations, and drug-induced conditions being the best
      examples. Unfortunately, the great majority belong to the latter group.
      Interestingly enough, many conditions with lymphadenopathy and
      dysgammaglobulinemia share similar histologic features, such as infiltration
      with lymphocytes, immunoblasts, plasma cells, and histiocytes. This
      pleomorphic infiltration may appear together with prominent vascular
      proliferation. In animal experiments, angiogenesis was induced by
      administration of immunocompetent lymphocytes into the skin of unimmunized,
      irradiated mice. Therefore such lymphocyte-induced angiogenesis may be a
      manifestation of the graft-versus-host reaction. Recent developments in
      immunology, such as the discovery of many membranous markers and receptors on
      the lymphocyte membrane, the study of cytoplasmic structure and synthetic
      products, detection of enzymatic aberrations and chromosomal abnormalities,
      and refinement in histochemical techniques, have led to attempt to reclassify
      lymphoplasmacytic and leukemic disorders. Indeed, several classifications
      coming from different coutries and from various centers in the same country
      have been proposed, leading to a typical "Tower of Babel" phenomenon. It is
      obvious that more knowledge of etiologic factors and pathogenetic mechanisms
      is necessary to classify, cure, and eventually prevent the diseases described
      in this paper.MAIN MESH HEADINGS: Dysgammaglobulinemia/*complications
      Lymphatic Diseases/*complications ADDITIONAL MESH HEADINGS: Adolescence
      Adult
      Amyloidosis/complications
      Arthritis, Rheumatoid/complications
      Child
      Child, Preschool
      Felty's Syndrome/complications
      Female
      Graft vs Host Reaction
      Heavy Chain Disease/complications
      Hodgkin Disease/complications
      Human
      Hyperplasia/complications
      Immunoblastic Lymphadenopathy/complications
      Immunoglobulins, alpha-Chain
      Immunoglobulins, gamma-Chain
      Immunoglobulins, mu-Chain
      Infant
      Lupus Erythematosus, Systemic/complications
      Lymph Nodes/pathology
      Lymphatic Diseases/chemically induced
      Lymphoma/complications
      Male
      Middle Age
      Multiple Myeloma/complications
      Reticuloendotheliosis/complications
      Sarcoma, Kaposi/complications
      Sjogren's Syndrome/complications
      Vaccination/adverse effects
      Waldenstrom's Macroglobulinemia/complications PUBLICATION TYPES: JOURNAL
      ARTICLE
      REVIEW LANGUAGE: Eng