Data -vs- Info/ABC Show last night

  • Janice and Ben Haines
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 1998
      Greetings,
      Lately, there has been little new data in regards to low grade lymphoma. If
      you are wondering if I have any rhyme or reason to HOW I try to turn data
      into information on NHL-low, I follow these steps:

      DATA STEPS: 'I do these almost daily. Others on here post in 1-4 of these)
      1) First, I always look for new data in regards to low grade lymphoma
      2) Then I look for data to fill in holes to the "Promising Protocols" post.
      3) I look for data on any of the Angiogenesis drugs and compile the posts
      4) I look for other general Cancer Breakthroughs

      note: I repeat the above steps over and over and over and over

      INFORMATION STEPS: (I do these a few times a month)
      1) I go back through the archives for the past month/months and extract and
      compile information for the ongoing PROMISING PROTOCOLS, ANGIOGENEIC
      THERAPIES, and CANCER BREAKTHROUGHS posts. Time consuming but much easier
      when the personal/alternative/complementary stuff is outa there...THANK YOU
      for KEEPING THE FOCUS, it has been terrific lately!
      2) I think of other areas that need major consolidation and start other
      projects. Currently, I am working on a project to better understand
      immunophenotyping (or understanding the CD antigens in the pathology
      reports.) These antigens are very specific to each individual and may help
      individuals discuss with their oncologists about what might be the best
      treatment.

      As you can see, 99.5% of the posts on here are 'data' and might not be
      interesting. Getting e-mail on nhl-low is not to be considered novel or
      entertaining. There might not be posts for days or even weeks. This is FINE!

      Okay, enough...if you wonder why I even mention this, it is because of all
      the personal mail I receive and if I get enough of it on a certain aspect
      of nhl-low, I will post publicly .

      ---8<---8<----

      ABC - CANCER: RACE FOR THE CURE
      Last night ABC had a really good documentary on cancer. I hope many of you
      watched it. The documentary started out by saying how optimistic
      oncologists are right now and how many breakthroughs have happened within
      the last few years. I took notes but they are a bit choppy.

      - One of the first things the show focused on was a new technique called
      "Molecular Diagnosis" and they said it allows oncologists to now look
      'under the hood and see inside the cell.' A comment was made it was 25,000
      times more powerful than biopsies since it really could provide a lot of
      information on any cancer cells that remained. (They didn't say residual
      disease but I am pretty sure that is what they were talking about.)

      - An interview with a prominent oncologist at Johns Hopkins or Sloan
      Ketterling said,"Clinical remission is not enough, you need molecular
      remission."

      - Next a guy acted out exactly what cancer is with funny props. (i.e.he had
      a caveman style club pounding on a cancer cell when demonstrating how
      chemotherapy works.) Next he explained all the different ways of treating
      cancer using the same props which was a powerful teaching technique:
      1) Chemotherapy and Radiation
      2) Gene Therapy
      3) Signaling Therapies
      4) Angiogenesis

      The most exciting part of the show for me was the discussion on Signaling
      Therapies. I had never heard of it and it is relatively new. (?) What
      signaling therapies do is essentially go in and rip out the wires of the
      cancer cells causing them to 'short circuit' and die.

      -Next up was Folkman and angiogenesis. He gave a case demonstration on a
      little girl with a huge tumor in her jaw (?) showing a disfigured left side
      of her face. She used some experimental angiogeneic inhibitor, they didn't
      say but it seemed to me it was inferred to be TNP-470 (?). The results
      showed her face as looking normal. (Apparently, on the YAHOO message board,
      this same Folkman demonstration won him a standing ovation amongst his
      peers recently at I think ASCO.)

      -Another case was reported on a man who has been on TNP-470 for a few years
      with a cancer of the fat cells. It appeared to be maintenance therapy so
      they are unsure if the TNP-470 was working or if his disease was still in
      remission.

      - Last was a segment on 'The Politics of Cancer' explaining how some more
      popular cancers (breast) get a lot more attention than lung cancer even
      though lung cancer kills a lot more women. Many feel it is an unspoken
      perception they 'caused' their cancer. Anyway, the lung cancer woman said,
      even though it sounds bad, she hoped someone famous would 'get it' so they
      could get more attention. (Obviously, most of us feel the same way to get
      the word out on lymphoma etc.) Bottom line, the Folkman's of the world
      need more money.

      I can't read the rest of my notes but that was about it.

      Regards,
      -Ben(KIA)
      (Janice and I have hotel reservations and are going to the CFL cocktail
      party/candlelight vigil/demonstration on the Mall in Washington, DC for
      'THE MARCH' in September.)