Mr. T Says He Is Battling Cancer

  • Janice and Ben Haines
    Message 1 of 1 , May 5, 1998
      Greetings,
      I have always wondered how to raise awareness for lymphoma and I have
      actually written several articles, still resting on my PC, by focusing on
      famous people with lymphoma, such as Jackie Onnassis. I have sort of waited
      for the inevitable, a famous person to get lymphoma. The irony is, and this
      shows my age, one is "Mr. T". I loved him in 'The A-team' as a teenager.
      Let's just say, if he is ANYTHING like he was in that show, we want his
      tenacity on our team.

      -Ben (KIA)

      It looks like he isn't a strong financial planner so we might have to
      donate a PC (actually, most libraries provide internet access for free.)
      -------8<----8<-------

      Tuesday May 5 6:01 PM EDT

      Mr. T Says He Is Battling Cancer

      LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Mr. T, the tough-guy actor with the Mohawk haircut
      who is best known for his role as B.A. Baracus in the 1980s television
      series "The A-Team," has cancer and is virtually broke, he said in a
      television interview.

      The 45-year-old actor, whose real name is Lawrence Tero, told the
      syndicated show "Entertainment Tonight" in an interview to be aired later
      Tuesday that he had a form of lymphoma. He said he was undergoing daily
      radiation treatments and injections at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center.

      "I try to be upbeat. When people watch this (show) I want them to be
      uplifted," said Tero, adding: "Love, love, love. I can't help but get
      better. This is what gives me the strength to go to the hospital."

      Tero, who also starred as Clubber Lang, Sylvester Stallone's adversary in
      the 1982 film "Rocky III," said the hardest part about having cancer was
      "telling my mom."

      His disclosure came on the same day that the New York Daily News published
      an interview with Carly Simon in which the singer-songwriter said she had
      been diagnosed with breast cancer.

      Although he was a household name in the 1980s, his career faded with the
      end of "The A-Team" in 1987 after four seasons on the air. A syndicated
      follow-up, "T. and T.," lasted just one season, ending in 1989.

      The actor said he was now almost broke, adding, "I've probably got $200 in
      the bank."

      Reuters