Group Room/Med Briefs

  • Janice and Ben
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 20, 1998
      Greetings,
      Well, after a few frustrating attempts with my browser and getting the
      RealAudio Plug-in to work, I was able to connect to the Web site that
      picked up the "Group Room" broadcast for those of us not in an area where
      it could be heard on the radio. Anyway, while Janice and I were listenting,
      I called in (cell phone, thank goodness it was a 1-800 number) and I
      actually got on the program after being on hold almost 45 minutes. It was
      really neat, I got to ask Dr. Wendy Harpham a question and got to thank
      Ellen Cohen and her on the air.

      Anyway, Wendy brought up the 'mailing list' (us) and asked if I had heard
      of the CFL. I told her they were on the list and if people were interested
      in an information only mailing list on low grade lymphoma they could access
      it at the LRFA's website.

      Anyay, my question was on what Wendy thought of allogeneic BMTs
      specifically for low grade lymphoma. She said she wasn't an oncologist and
      allogeneic BMTs were not an option for her since she wasn't a match. Then
      the resident oncologist, Dr. Michael added that allogeneic BMTs were pretty
      much unproven and too toxic. I THINK Ellen interrupted at that point and
      said that in fact there have been studies that show that it could be the
      only 'curative' protocol out there for low grade NHL.

      I don't have the exact transcript but I am guessing she was talking about
      several of the studies that most of us have seen on NHL-low. I think we
      picked up a few more subscribers to nhl-low and it was exciting and a
      thrill to talk to Ellen and Wendy. Wendy found out just last Friday her
      blood tests "weren't quite right." Ellen is in the middle of treatment.
      REMARKABLE women for going on and doing a talk show on lymphoma, given
      their circumstances.

      Regards,
      -Ben (KIA)

      Welcome new subscribers: 209

      If you go to the Vital Options (Group Room) home page via www.lymphoma.org,
      good luck trying to e-mail them, none of the e-mail addresses work.

      ----MEDBRIEFS----8<----8<----
      Bone marrow transplants for chronic myeloid leukemia
      A new study concludes that bone marrow transplants from
      unrelated tissue matched donors may be safely used to treat some patients
      with chronic myeloid leukemia (CML).
      - CML has been thought to be curable using only hematopoietic
      stem-cell transplantation, using marrow from siblings with matching tissue.
      - researchers at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
      in Seattle, Washington, report that a study of 192 patients with chronic
      CML who
      received marrow transplants from unrelated donors found that graft failure
      occurred in 5% of patients within five years of transplant, rate similar to
      that seen among recipients of marrow from siblings.
      - authors further note that survival was improved among
      participants through the prophylactic use of the drugs fluconazole and
      ganciclovir.
      - the study is in The New England Journal of Medicine
      (1998;338:962-968).

      MedBriefs (INC inc.) 4/3/98

      Increasing the efficacy of chemotherapy
      Researchers say antisense DNA may increase the efficacy of
      chemotherapy drugs, and help shrink or eliminate tumors in mice that are
      derived from human melanoma cells. Researchers used the single strand of
      genetic material that can bind to and effectively "cancel out" production
      of certain targeted proteins (antisense DNA) by directing it at a molecule
      that helps cancer cells avoid apoptosis and found that the treatment
      increased the efficacy of the chemotherapy drug dacarbazine by causing
      tumors to disappear completely in three out of six animals. Apoptosis is
      the cell-suicide program that normally keeps cells from growing out of
      control and many chemotherapy drugs work by inducing this process.
      Researchers at the University of Vienna in Austria worked in collaboration
      with San Diego-based Genta Inc. and the University Hospital in Leiden, The
      Netherlands. Researchers say the therapy may work for other types of
      cancers including breast, lung, gastric, colorectal and
      prostate. Reported in the journal Nature Medicine (1998;4:232-234).

      MedBriefs (INC inc.) 3/31/98

      Mechanism by which cancer cells invade bone
      Researchers say they have determined how cancer cells invade bone.
      Researchers at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor say some cancer cells
      invasion of bone begins when they attach to the lining of blood vessels that
      supply bone marrow and that "...there is a specific receptor-ligand
      interaction
      that mediates the docking of prostate tumor cells to bone marrow endothelial
      cells." The researchers studied the endothelial cells that line the blood
      vessels supplying bone marrow, watching how normal cells and cancer cells
      tried to bind to them and found that prostate cancer cells have a
      propensity to establish themselves in bone and a preferential adhesion to
      bone marrow endothelial cells. The scientists claim to have found several
      molecules and antibodies that hinder cancer cells from adhering to bone in
      lab cultures but have not determined if the compounds would work in humans.
      Reported in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute (1998;90:84-5,
      118-23)

      MedBriefs (INC inc.) 3/31/98

      Studying chromosomal abnormalities in leukemia patients
      A recent study appears to confirm previous findings that
      the study of chromosomal abnormalities (cytogenetics) can help to predict
      treatment and disease outcomes in leukemia patients.
      - researchers at Ohio State University followed 628
      leukemia patients for 15 years to collect data.
      - reports of the findings say the study showed significant
      correlations between a patient's cure status and their cytogenetics, and
      between their cytogenetics, survival, and effective treatments.
      - authors say one of the primary benefits of cytogenetics
      in leukemia patients is the ability to identify sub-forms of leukemia that
      are likely to respond to a certain type of treatment and those that won't.
      - the study was reported in a supplement to the journal
      Cancer (March, 1998).

      MedBriefs (INC inc.) 3/26/98

      Cigar smoking and risk of cancer and heart disease
      A recent report concludes that men who smoke cigars
      regularly are at increased risk death from heart disease and cancer.
      - researchers at Kaiser Permanente in Oakland, California,
      studied a subset of 225 regular cigar smokers from a cohort of more than
      14,000 persons over a period of 10 years to collect data.
      - found that the cigar smokers were at slightly higher risk
      of death overall than non-smokers, and that they were at twice the risk of
      dying from all forms of cancer and heart disease than non-smokers.
      - authors note that none of the 225 cigar smokers studied
      had any sign of heart disease or cancer when the study began.
      - the report was presented at the American Heart
      Association's 38th Annual Conference on Cardiovascular Disease Epidemiology
      and Prevention in Santa
      Fe (March 20, 1998).

      MedBriefs (INC inc.) 3/23/98

      Oral anemia treatment available in the U.S.
      Unimed Pharmaceuticals has announced the availability in
      the U.S. of Anadrol(R)-50 (oxymetholone) 50 mg tablets, the only oral
      anabolic-androgenic hormone indicated for the treatment of anemia.
      - studies of the drug are reported to have shown its
      ability to stimulate red blood cell production by enhancing the body's
      release of erythropoietin and by signally stem cells to produce red blood
      cells.
      - developers say the oral formulation of Anadrol provides
      an appealing and safe alternative to injection-based treatments for anemia,
      a condition which often appears in HIV/AIDS, cancer, lupus, aplastic
      anemia, rheumatoid arthritis and inflammatory bowel disease patients.
      - data taken from a Unimed Pharmaceuticals release (March
      17, 1998).

      MedBriefs (INC inc.) 3/19/98

      Depression risk in users of interferon-alpha
      A new report warns of the risks of depression associated
      with use of the drug interferon-alpha (IFN-a).
      - IFN-a is used to treat adult leukemia, certain kidney
      cancers, the skin cancer melanoma, and hepatitis B and C.
      - Dr. Alan D. Valentine of the University of Texas M.D.
      Anderson Cancer Center writes that among the common side effects of IFN-a
      therapy are:
      depression, paresthesias (changes in sensation), impaired
      concentration, amnesia, confusion, and anxiety.
      - Valentine further notes that the side effects are rarely
      serious and can usually be treated provided both physicians and patients
      are aware of the risks.
      - the report is in the journal Seminars in Oncology
      (1998;25:39-47).

      MedBriefs (INC inc.) 3/16/98