Familial / Powerlines

  • Janice and Ben
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2, 1998
      Hello all,
      Here are two articles:
      1) Familial Hodgkin's and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma
      2) Powerlines given the all clear (Australia)

      Side note on number 1: I am really interested in anyone out there who
      has/had a family member who has/had NHL. Please let me know your thoughts
      and your relation to the other NHL patient. Janice's father had brain
      cancer followed by NHL, he was in his early 40's when he died about 18
      years ago. I would like to document how many people (155 of us) on here
      have a link somewhere else in their family. Please let me know if anonymity
      is an issue.

      On the CBS evening news tonight, a short bit on cancer vaccines was
      presented. Cancer vaccines are gaining momentum. It mentioned melanoma,
      breast, prostate and one other cancer, nothing on lymphoma directly.

      Thanks for your time,
      -Ben(KIA)

      -----8<------8<-------

      Leuk Lymphoma 1997 Nov;27(5-6):503-507

      Familial Hodgkin's and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma: different
      patterns in first-degree relatives.

      Siebert R, Louie D, Lacher M, Schluger A, Offit K

      Department of Human Genetics, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center
      New York, NY, USA.

      [Medline record in process]

      In order to evaluate the importance of genetic susceptibility in Hodgkin's
      disease (HD) and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (NHL) we retrospectively analysed
      31 families with lymphoma in first-degree relatives containing a
      total of 65 affected persons. We observed 20 HD/HD, 8 NHL/HD and 8
      NHL/NHL pairs with median ages of diagnosis of 27, 36 and 48 years,
      respectively (p < 0.001). In HD/HD sib pairs were predominant in contrast to
      parent/child pairs in NHL/NHL (p = 0.04). There was a higher frequency of
      diseases with impaired immune function in NHL/NHL than in other pairs (p =
      0.01). Comparison of ages and times of incidence of the pairs as
      well as sex-concordance rates are consistent with an age-specific genetic
      susceptibility to HD, but suggest a time-specific exposure in some
      NHL-prone families with or without compromised immune function.

      PMID: 9477132, UI: 98135999

      -----8<------8<-------

      From Australia
      From the: "Sydney Morning Herald"

      Monday, March 2, 1998

      Powerlines given the all clear: report (4pm)

      Research has found there is no scientific evidence that overhead
      powerlines caused cancer, according to a study commissioned by a power
      association. The 18-month study, funded by the Electricity Supply
      Association of Australia and undertaken by scientists around Australia,
      showed there was no evidence linking lymphoma, cancer of the white blood
      cells to overhead powerlines.

      Professor Tony Basten, executive director of Sydney's Centenary
      Institute of Cancer Medicine and Cell Biology at the Royal Prince Alfred
      Hospital, said the study exposed hundreds of mice carrying a gene which
      caused lymphoma to electromagnetic fields for 20 hours a day for 18 months.

      "The highest dose exceeded exposure levels below high voltage
      powerlines by a factor of 100," Professor Basten said. "There was no
      difference in the lymphoma rate between the exposed mice and non-exposed
      mice."

      Professor Basten insisted the study was independent despite being
      funded by the association.

      In a study undertaken last year by the same group, the connection
      between lymphoma and radio frequency fields emitted by digital mobile
      phones, found there was a doubling in the incidence, he said. - Australian
      Associated Press

      *Australian Eastern Daylight Time (AEDT) is 11 hours ahead of
      Greenwich Mean Time.