908Angiogenesis: AACR Childhood Leukemia

  • Janice and Ben Haines
    Sep 29, 1998
      Greetings,
      I thought I would share some more information we picked up at THE MARCH.
      Leukemia is a cousin to lymphoma. Lymphoma is more than twice as common as
      leukemia.

      ---8<---8<----

      First a background:
      http://leukemia.org/docs/leuk_rel/leukemia.html

      "Leukemia is a malignant disease (cancer) of the bone marrow and blood. It is
      characterized by the uncontrolled growth of blood cells. The common types of
      leukemia are divided into four categories: myelogenous or lymphocytic, which
      can be acute or chronic. The terms myelogenous or lymphocytic denote the cell
      type involved. Thus, the four major types of leukemia are: acute or chronic
      myelogenous and acute or chronic lymphocytic leukemia."

      Total Projected 1998 Leukemia Diagnosis: 28,700
      Total Projected 1998 Leukemia Deaths: 21,600
      Facts: Leukemia is expected to strike ten times as many adults as children in
      1998. (About 26,500 cases compared with 2,200 in children, ages 0-14.) More
      than half of all cases of leukemia occur in persons over 60.
      ---8<---8<----

      Now Lymphoma:
      http://leukemia.org/docs/leuk_rel/lymphoma.html

      "Lymphoma is a general term for a group of cancers that originate in the
      lymphatic system, which includes hundreds of bean-size lymph nodes, present
      throughout the body, and the spleen and thymus.

      Lymphoma results when a lymphocyte (a type of white blood cell) undergoes a
      malignant change and begins to multiply, eventually crowding out healthy cells
      and creating tumors which enlarge lymph nodes."

      (Note: Could one of the 'changes' be angiogenesis? we will watch-wait-worry
      tuned the whole time to the Hope Channel)

      Total Projected 1998 Lymphoma Diagnoses: 62,500
      Total Projected 1998 Lymphoma Deaths: 26,300

      ----8<---8<----

      HOPE CHANNEL
      -------------------------
      The following was found in a folder from the American Association for Cancer
      Research (AACR) entitled: "Progress and New Hope in the Fight Against Cancer"

      AACR Public Forum Highlighting the Latest Discoveries:
      Saturday, September 26, 1998 - Washington, D.C.

      In one of the handouts entitled, "Childhood Cancers" on page 1-2.

      "The recent discovery that human leukemia has an angiogeneic phase (when
      leukemic cells must form their own network of blood vessels to ensure vigorous
      growth) has led to efforts to combat this disease through disruption of its
      vascular support system. In preliminary studies, endostatin, a naturally
      occurring protein with antiangiogenic activity, eradicated leukemia in all
      mice
      that received the compound, without harming normal cells. Although it is not
      clear how leukemia patients will respond to antiangiogenic agents, this is a
      novel approach that may someday become part of first-line combination
      treatments."

      Note: Blanket reference of Leukemia (That looks like all 4 types to me.)

      Regards,
      -Ben(KIA)

      (We wait for TNP-470 to begin Phase I trials the end of the year with
      Childhood
      Leukemia and Lymphoma)