Alligator Pt/Bottoms Rd. Birds 1 NOV 02

  • Jack Dozier
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 2002
      The cool front had a definite effect on our bird life here on Alligator
      Pt. Nothing real unusual was seen, just an influx of winter birds. I just
      spent about an hour and a half on Bald Pt. and Bottoms Rd. (part of
      SMNWR-Wakulla Co.).

      Wood Stork 4 Bottoms Rd.
      Wood Duck 1 Eclipse Male on Bald Pt. (fresh water).
      Sharp-sh. Hawk 2 Migrating, Bald Pt.
      Cooper's Hawk 4 Migrating, Bald Pt.
      Red-tailed Hawk 1 Migrating, Bald Pt.
      Stilt Sandpiper 5 Bottoms Rd.
      Ring-billed Gull 1 Bottoms Rd., Adult.
      White-winged Dove 1 Bald Pt.
      E. Phoebe 20 New birds, all over the place!
      Hermit Thrush 1 Bald Pt., tip end-migrant.
      Yellow-rumped Warbler 300 Everywhere.
      Chipping Sparrow 6 Fots for Alligator Pt.
      White-thr. Sparrow 4 At feeder, just arrived yesterday.

      As I type this three Coyote's are raiding my bird seed feeders. They lick
      them clean in spite of the can of dog food in a bowl; they leave that to
      the 'coons!

      Jack Dozier
      Alligator Pt., FL
      jdozier@...
    • Vincent Lucas
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 2, 2002
        Jack Dozier said:

        >As I type this three Coyote's are raiding my bird seed feeders. They lick
        >them clean in spite of the can of dog food in a bowl; they leave that to
        >the 'coons!

        Hi Jack:

        Those coyotes are smart aren't they? I saw my first in Florida in 1992
        while at Blackwater River S.F. in the Florida Panhandle. I was walking
        along a path in a weedy field looking at leps when twenty feet in front
        of me this coyote crossed my path from the weeds. I don't know who was
        more startled! Nice memory. . . . One of my all time favorite songs is
        this one from Joni Mitchell (like me, you're old enough to remember it I
        suppose):

        COYOTE

        No regrets Coyote
        We just come from such different sets of circumstance
        I'm up all night in the studios
        And you're up early on your ranch
        You'll be brushing out a brood mare's tail
        While the sun is ascending
        And I'll just be getting home with my reel to reel...
        There's no comprehending
        Just how close to the bone and the skin and the eyes
        And the lips you can get
        And still feel so alone
        And still feel related
        Like stations in some relay
        You're not a hit and run driver, no, no
        Racing away
        You just picked up a hitcher
        A prisoner of the white lines on the freeway

        We saw a farmhouse burning down
        In the middle of nowhere
        In the middle of the night
        And we rolled right past that tragedy
        Till we turned into some road house lights
        Where a local band was playing
        Locals were up kicking and shaking on the floor
        And the next thing I know
        That Coyote's at my door
        He pins me in a corner and he won't take "No!"
        He drags me out on the dance floor
        And we're dancing close and slow
        Now he's got a woman at home
        He's got another woman down the hall
        He seems to want me anyway
        Why'd you have to get so drunk
        And lead me on that way
        You just picked up a hitcher
        A prisoner of the white lines of the freeway

        I looked a Coyote right in the face
        On the road to Baljennie near my old home town
        He went running thru the whisker wheat
        Chasing some prize down
        And a hawk was playing with him
        Coyote was jumping straight up and making passes
        He had those same eyes - just like yours
        Under your dark glasses
        Privately probing the public rooms
        And peeking thru keyholes in numbered doors
        Where the players lick their wounds
        And take their temporary lovers
        And their pills and powders to get them thru this passion play

        No regrets, Coyote
        I just get off up a ways
        You just picked up a hitcher
        A prisoner of the white lines on the freeway

        Coyote's in the coffee shop
        He's staring a hole in his scrambled eggs
        He picks up my scent on his fingers
        While he's watching the waitresses' legs
        He's too fat from the Bay of Fundy
        From Appaloosas and Eagles and tides
        And the air conditioned cubicles
        And the carbon ribbon rides
        Are spelling it out so clear
        Either he's going to have to stand and fight
        Or take off out of here
        I tried to run away myself
        To run away and wrestle with my ego
        And with this flame
        You put here in this Eskimo
        In this hitcher
        In this prisoner
        Of the fine white lines
        Of the white lines on the free, free way. . . .

        From the album "HEJIRA" (1976)

        Good birding!

        Vince Lucas
        Naples, FL