yard activity

  • Fran Rutkovsky
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 31, 2002
      There was a lot of activity around the yard this morning to
      early afternoon.

      * = first of season for yard

      *Hermit Thrush
      *Orange-crowned warbler
      *Yellow-rumped warbler (lots)
      Magnolia warbler
      1 unidentified warbler

      White-eyed and Yellow-throated vireos

      1 Ruby-throated hummer at flowers (I saw the last one at the
      feeder on Sat.)

      3 Sapsuckers
      --

      Fran C. Rutkovsky
      Tallahassee, FL
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 16, 2003
        The yard activity has been fairly quiet lately, though the C. Wrens
        and Chickadees are feeding squealing babies.

        I've enjoyed having 4 Indigo Buntings coming to the feeder (3 males,
        1 female). Today a "1st yr. male" was here.

        Also today I had 3 Orchard Orioles (2 adult males, 1 female) that
        came down to bathe in the mister. Two adult male Baltimore Orioles were
        hanging around with them but did not bathe. I'm seeing 2 adult male
        Rubythroated hummingbirds and an occasional female. Seems pretty quiet
        compared to all the winter hummer activity.
        --

        Fran C. Rutkovsky
        Tallahassee, FL
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 3 3:21 PM
          Hi all:

          I had my first adult male Rubythroated hummingbird in the yard today.
          I'd guess this is a migrant. He spent time chasing the female Rubythroat
          that has been here a few weeks (the one previously banded elsewhere).

          The Western Tanager is still here, though he doesn't come down to the
          feeders very often. He's associating with 4-5 Baltimore Orioles.

          On Feb. 26 I briefly saw a female Purple Finch at the feeder with
          the hordes of Goldfinches and Chipping Sparrows. She did not stay.
          --

          Fran C. Rutkovsky
          Tallahassee, FL
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 11, 2004
            Dean and Sally Jue sure are hogging the birds this fall!
            I did have a beautiful male Redstart at the birdbath around 6:30 pm today.
            This morning I saw a Chestnut-sided warbler high up in a tree with a
            couple of Parula warblers, and saw a female Hooded in the ravine this
            afternoon. (I also caught a glimpse of a Chestnut-sided yesterday,
            for about 2 seconds.)
            A Yellow-throated Vireo has been calling, but I've just seen it once.

            I do have 4-5 or more Rubythroats zipping around all day and chasing
            everything in sight. One of the Parula warblers was trying to
            get a drink out of the nectar feeder, and I watched a hummer chase
            it off into the ravine. They'll also go after butterflies, hummingbird
            moths, insects, each other, me, etc. Hilarious.

            Yesterday (Fri.) just at dusk I watched a neat moth going to the
            impatiens flowers: Pink-Spotted Hawk Moth. It was as big as a hummingbird
            and had obvious rose colored spots along the sides of the body.
            I'm seeing 3 or 4 Pearly-eyed butterflies at the fruit bag at dusk.
            --

            Fran C. Rutkovsky
            Tallahassee, FL
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 3, 2005
              Hi all:

              Today I've been watching a comical Yellow-bellied Sapsucker hanging
              upside down from the very end of an Elderberry twig. He has done
              this several times, and I've been unable to determine what he's
              going after. Gnats? There are just a few sprouts of leaves. When
              he's all puffed up, he looks like a ball with a tail and red head.
              The Elderberry is near where the old Basswood tree stood that had
              so many Sapsucker holes in it. (that tree fell into the ravine
              last spring.)

              Recently I've also watched Baltimore Orioles (I have 5 of them)
              taking apart camellia blossoms. Insects or nectar?

              Other yard birds coming to the feeders include: Western Tanager,
              Orange-crowned warbler, Rufous and Rubythroat hummers, many
              Goldfinches, male and female Purple Finches (very irregular
              visitors), Chipping sparrows. The Carolina Wrens have been checking
              out the gutters under the carport for nesting sites.
              --

              Fran C. Rutkovsky
              Tallahassee, FL
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 11, 2009
                Hi all--

                A first of fall VEERY showed up today, though I'm pretty sure I heard
                one in the ravine
                on Monday (few! few!). Today's thrush was calling in the ravine
                this afternoon.
                Also on Monday a first of season Chestnut-sided warbler came down to
                the mister.
                That was my only sighting. A female Am. Redstart was here on 8/31.
                Other than the usual resident and summer birds, it's been pretty quiet.

                Last week I saw a Bronze Frog leap into the penta bush and catch a
                Gulf Fritillary, then
                attempt to catch a Giant Swallowtail. The following day I saw an
                Acadian Flycatcher
                carrying a Hackberry Emperor. There's always something to watch.

                -----

                Fran Rutkovsky
                franrutkovsky@...
                Tallahassee, FL
              • Fran Rutkovsky
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 7, 2010
                  Hi all

                  The cold weather has brought increased activity at the feeders.
                  Today I have 6-8 Baltimore Orioles; the female Bullock's Oriole (with no tail);
                  the Yellow-throated warbler (first winter I've had one stick around in this yard);
                  female Rubythroat; several Chipping sparrows; the usual resident birds;
                  and for two days I've had a female Painted Bunting.  She's a drab  gray-green,
                  and at first I thought it was an Orange-crowned warbler, until I saw the face
                  and bill.   Neat new yard bird.

                  --------
                  Fran Rutkovsky
                  Tallahassee, FL
                  franrutkovsky@...

                • Fran Rutkovsky
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 19 8:34 AM
                    Finally heard a first-of-season N. Parula singing this morning. This
                    is more than a week later than my previous late date
                    for this yard. I was surprised to see a female Western Tanager at the
                    suet this morning, among the 6-8 Baltimore Orioles.

                    I'll be greeting visitors at the Bird Window tomorrow (Sat., 3/20) at
                    Birdsong Nature Center during the 3rd annual
                    Old-Timey Plant Sale. The sale is from 9 a.m.-1 p.m.

                    -----

                    Fran Rutkovsky
                    franrutkovsky@...
                    Tallahassee, FL
                  • Daniel Greene
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 19 8:41 AM
                      FOS singing at my office in Southport by the Deer Lake dam this morning (outside of Panama City).

                      Dan

                    • Fran Rutkovsky
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 7, 2010
                        A first-of-spring Great-crested flycatcher has been calling all
                        morning in the ravine. This is about a week later than I usually
                        hear them. A female Western Tanager is still showing up now and then
                        but doesn't stay long.

                        On Sunday morning I had a swarm of 15+ Baltimore Orioles in the trees
                        and at the feeders, but they left by mid-day.
                        The female Bullock's Oriole was also here that day.

                        -----

                        Fran Rutkovsky
                        franrutkovsky@...
                        Tallahassee, FL
                      • Fran Rutkovsky
                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 15, 2013
                          I had two first of fall Wood Thrushes in the yard and ravine today, mostly eating beautyberries.  Also had a male Baltimore
                          Oriole drop in to sample suet and nectar and then take off. I saw a female  on Sunday. I've been hearing them around but these
                          were the first two to drop down into the yard this fall. A Catbird has also been eating berries and suet.

                          --------
                          Fran Rutkovsky
                          Tallahassee, FL
                          franrutkovsky@...