Henslow's and Black rail near St Marks?

  • Sunny Philllips
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 6, 2014
      A birder from Tampa is coming to bird St Marks and areas nearby and is looking for these two species. I haven't been back in Florida for over a year and just got back. Anyone know where we might see these species? Any limpkins?

      _____________
      Doing what you love is freedom. Loving what you do is happiness.

      Sunny Phillips
      Home 850-445-6586
      Cell 850-445-6555
    • Jim Stevenson
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 6, 2014
        Twenty years ago there used to be Henslow’s Sparrows (I think it has an apostrophe???) under the power lines, in the broom sedge, just south of US 98 on the road to the town of St. Mark’s, on the east side. They are buggers to get a good look at but with repeated flushing they’ll sometimes sit on visible stalks momentarily. Pishing and tapes can help with sparrows. Savannahs are obviously larger and fly farther. Other species unlikely there.

        I hate to hog this discussion so I’ll let others give directions to a Black Rail!

        Jim
        Galveston