Need help w/hawk ID

  • Kathleen Carr
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 7, 2013
      Sorry I don't have any pictures, but a group of us were at St. Mark's this morning and saw a dark-colored hawk with a distinctive band of white at the base of the tail. Northern Harrier is the only hawk I can come up with that would meet that description and likely to be found there.

      Any other guesses or was that likely what we saw?
    • eliza hawkins
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 7, 2013
        Not sure what the weather was down there this am but  I have seen a wet red-tailed hawk in rainy weather which looked very dark making its light rump stand out dramatically (reminicient of a harrier if you only had a quick look).

        Eliza Hawkins
        ehawkins@...

        Sorry I don't have any pictures, but a group of us were at St. Mark's this morning and saw a dark-colored hawk with a distinctive band of white at the base of the tail. Northern Harrier is the only hawk I can come up with that would meet that description and likely to be found there.

        Any other guesses or was that likely what we saw?

      • Sunny Yahoo
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 7, 2013
          Agree re dark morph of red-tailed hawk. Check out Sibley or Crossley.

          ~~~~
          Advice from a wolf-trust your instincts, be at home in nature, keep your den clean, stand fur what you believe, stay on track, howl with your friends, be a leader, and pack life with good memories!

          Sunny Phillips
          850-445-6555(cell)
          850-445-6586 (home)

[...]

          • Don Morrow