big day coming!

  • Jim Stevenson
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 12, 2013
      Just wanted to share that my favorite birding day, in my zillions of years in North Florida, was always the first (second or third?) cool front of the Fall. It'll usually be after the 20th of September, and any before that time are not as good bird-wise. It is truly an amazing bird-experience, as well as an exhilarating performance of nature.

      I would suggest St. George Island. You will see "peninsular migrants" like swallows, Palm Warblers, kingbirds and flickers (etc.) racing along the Island at dawn, headed east down the coast. This continues all morning and sometimes into the afternoon. Other neat fliers like Peregrines and accipiters are likely, and who knows what else?

      In the trees are a 'hole 'nuther group. Trans-Gulf migrant songbirds like vireos, flycatchers and most warblers feed vigorously, and catch naps, awaiting the liftoff at sundown. In the old days I saw over 20 species of warblers alone, although the numbers are hard to duplicate today. There will also be larger songbirds like buntings, grosbeaks, orioles and tanagers, many in camo fall colors.

      I miss the days of hordes of songbird migrants like I saw in the 70s and 80s, but it's still a good show today. And one day we won't even have what is there now, and I guess that's the point. There is simply nothing like it. Do what you have to do to get there, like it's your best friend's wedding, or your sister's child being born. You will never forget it. I have traveled the World many times and it is one of nature's most amazing spectacles, right in our own back yard.

      Watch the weather if you're interested, and you wanna be there the first morning it hits. If it passes in the afternoon, BE THERE the next morning. If it passes overnight, be there. If it's coming over in the morning, be there and watch the birds arrive. It's easy to be there too late!

      This phenomenon doesn't happen in Texas, with all our great birding, and I so miss this rich and amazing experience!

      Good and exciting birding,

      Jim
      Galveston