White Pelican status

  • Jim Stevenson
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 11, 2013
      Hi Folks,

      There was some question about the status of our huge friends, the White Pelicans. At base, they are winter residents in the Deep South, arriving as early as July and oftentimes staying as late as May. Then of course, they fly northwest and nest in places like the Great Salt Lake, etc.

      However, it seems they have been summering in small numbers in various places around the State, particularly Polk County. These are almost always immature birds, and since they take 3-4 years to become sexually mature, they really have no reason to make the trip “home.” This is not without precedent, as other waterbirds like Herring Gulls do the same thing.

      I hope this clears up any questions you may have had.

      Jim
      Homer, AK
      52 degrees

    • swamphen@...
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 2, 2013
        I haven't been able to get out and do much birding this year, alas,
        but having the chance to listen from the front yard this morning with
        the window open in west-central Wakulla County here, and I'm hearing
        Limpkins calling in the distance.

        -Sean P. McCool
        Crawfordville, Wakulla County, Florida
      • Janeen Engleman Langley
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 7, 2014

          I had my first ever Kentucky warbler at my bird bath this afternoon.  I will post a photo on the website.

          Janeen Langley

          Northeast Tallahassee