Yellow-crowned Night Heron in Innovation Park, Tallahassee

  • Robert Lengacher
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 10, 2013
      Earlier I reported a possible Black-crowned Night Heron in Innovation Park
      here in SW Tallahassee, but I took a little walk back to the pond to see if
      I could get better visual confirmation than just a quick glance in flight.

      In the SE corner of the pond in very shallow water under the trees I found
      an adult *Yellow-crowned Night Heron* standing in a few inches of water. I
      got excellent looks and tried to take a photo with my junky dumbphone, but
      they did not come out. The bird stayed in that one spot for about 5 minutes
      before it flew off.

      If you decide to try for the bird at this pond please be aware that the
      water level in the pond and surrounding retention areas behind the FSU
      Research Foundation is very high, and there are more pink eggs from the
      exotic apple snails than I have ever seen. It's also very snaky, so be
      aware.

      Here's a link to the Google map:
      https://maps.google.com/maps?q=2000+levy+avenue+tallahassee,+fl&hl=en&ll=30.425068,-84.316844&spn=0.003735,0.004748&safe=active&hnear=2000+Levy+Ave,+Tallahassee,+Leon,+Florida+32310&gl=us&t=h&z=18

      The image below shows where you can enter the parking lot, where you can
      park behind the buildings, and the red path indicates where you'll have to
      walk to get good views of the pond from the berm on the east and south side
      of the pond.

      You might also want to try other good southside locations with water like
      Black Swamp Nature Preserve, Lake Henrietta (and the pond south of there on
      the dike next to Munson Slough), or even Robert White Williams Birding
      Trail.

      [image: Inline image 1]

      Robert "Rob" Lengacher