Recent Tallahassee sightings (Black-crowned Night Heron)

  • Robert Lengacher
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 10 7:15 AM
      Hi everyone,

      I haven't done much birding recently, but I do have a couple of decent
      sightings for summer in Tallahassee.

      - Black-crowned Night Heron - Just a quick glimpse a few minutes ago, so
      I'm not 100% sure, but it was definitely a night heron with very short
      legs. Total surprise seen from my office window in Innovation Park. Seen
      flying to and from the pond behind the FSU Research Foundation buildings at
      2000 Levy Avenue. I'll walk back there during my lunch break to see if
      there are others. Night herons are difficult to find in Leon County, so
      I'll post more details if it shows up again.
      - Limpkins - Seen a couple of weeks ago at the very far end of the
      Robert White Williams Birding Trail (which is currently blocked by a tree
      about 1/3 of the way down)
      - Belted Kingfisher - Saw a pair chasing each other at Robert White
      Williams Birding Trail. They are hard to find sometimes in summer.

      Robert "Rob" Lengacher