St Marks NWR - Sunday morning

  • Don Morrow
    Message 1 of 1 , May 12, 2013
      Paul Spitzer called and asked if I could go out Looning again. He said that even negative data is data, which I remember from my long-ago course in Experimental Design. After being out of town all week, I was too tired to head out on Saturday and got up early this morning to head down to the refuge.

      Neither Paul Spitzer nor my long-ago Experimental Design instructor mentioned the part about having to get up at 4:45 am. Perhaps, if the Governor calls a special session, this could be addressed as part of educational reform.

      I went through the gates at 6:06 am. Chuck-wills-widows were common, Great-horned Owls were calling and there were a lot of bats, Mexican Freetails, I think.

      I saw only ten loons, three of which decided against migration. There were many fewer Soras and Clappers calling. I saw only one Horned Grebe.

      Breeding birds are easily seen; Marsh Wren, Seaside sparrow, Least Bittern. Otherwise, it was a quiet and slightly buggy morning.

      Lighthouse Flats
      Caspian tern
      Common Tern
      Least Tern
      Black Skimmer
      Dunlin
      Short-billed Dowitcher
      Black-bellied Plover
      Wilson's Plover
      Whimbrel

      Mounds Pool Trail
      Yellow-billed Cuckoo
      Swainson's Thrush
      Redstart (female)
      Common Yellowthroat (in heath scrub, so possibly a migrant)
      Orchard Oriole

      Fire Tower Pond (very quiet, water level was high)
      Dunlin
      Short-billed Dowitcher
      Black-necked Stilt (three birds)