St Marks Sunday Morning

  • Don Morrow
    Message 1 of 1 , May 5, 2013
      I may have found the end of Loon migration. I had 8 loons in an early burst and then nothing. With a 10 mph wind it was freezing at sunrise.

      On Mounds Pool trail I had some of the same birds that Eliza had; YB Cuckoo, YT Warbler, Parula and Cape May Warbler, but also had Blackpoll Warblers and Palm Warblers, plus a female Scarlet Tanager, Veery and Catbird. I heard, but did not see Chats.

      Tower Pond was light on shorebirds. Likely because the tide was out. There were Avocets, Stilts, Semipalmated, Wilsons and Black-bellied Plovers, Spotted Sandpipers, all three peeps, but no yellowlegs or dowitchers. Dunlin numbers were lower.

      Eliza's photos show dowitchers on tower pond and she may have been there later in the day as the tide came in. I did the loop between 8 and 9 am.

      There are still a few Bobolinks around.