St Marks NWR-Saturday Morning

  • Don Morrow
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 20, 2013
      I did the Loon patrol and logged 18 intrepid Common Loons heading into a strong North wind before the morning flight abruptly ended at 7:30 am.

      I shifted over to migration birding and logged the following on Mounds Pool Trail
      American Avocet (6 in breeding plumage on Tower Pond)
      Black-necked Stilt (around 30 on Tower Pond)
      Gray Catbird (many)
      Red-eyed Vireo (many)
      Common Yellowthroat
      Yellow Warbler
      Yellow-rumped Warbler
      Worm-eating Warbler
      Northern Parula
      Blue-winged Warbler
      Eastern Kingbird
      Yellow-billed Cuckoo
      Blue Grosbeak
      Summer Tanager
      Scarlet Tanager (female)

      I had Barn Swallows, Tree Swallows and one Cliff Swallow (sitting on the road) at the East River Pool Boat Ramp.

      I had a Northern Waterthrush at the first of the Double Bridges.

      Chuck-wills-widows are now common in the predawn morning. Sora and Clapper Rails are loud and common around dawn. Barred and Great Horned Owls are still calling.

      Good Birding.