Orchard Oriole

  • White, Eddie
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 10, 2013
      Was greeted with the song of an Orchard Oriole at my front gate at sunrise this morning. Maybe things are picking up ahead of the front that is approaching.
      I also saw a bird land on a red light camera at the intersection of Monroe Street (U.S. 27) and Tennessee Street (U.S. 90) this morning. It looked odd, so I grabbed my binocs and took a better look at an Eastern Bluebird. Asphalt and concrete is not your typical bluebird habitat.

      Eddie White
      Havana, FL

    • Jim Stevenson
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 10, 2013
        Hi Everyone,

        There has been a stronger-than-usual push of trans-Gulf migrants coming across the Gulf here in Texas this April, which likely means a less-than-normal parade of songbirds coming into North Florida. Of course, some years it’s reversed, and depending on meteorological conditions, it can change any time.

        Just remember that the peak of the songbird (and shorebird) migration is late April, and the vast majority of this season lies ahead. Birding will be strong through the first week of May, and the real yummy species (northern nesters) migrate mostly after April 20. Look for shorebirds and residents early in the day and then the migrants will start arriving.

        Good luck to everyone!

        Jim
        Galveston