St. George Island SP, Sept. 30th

  • Dean and Sally Jue
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2001
      'Sorry we didn't get this posted sooner. We birdwatched Sunday from
      9:00 AM till 2:00 PM at the St. George Island State Park youth
      campground and saw many of the same species reported by Jack Dozier and
      John Murphy who were there later that afternoon. In addition, we got
      good looks at a PHILADELPHIA VIREO and a BLACKPOLL WARBLER. At one
      point, the Philadelphia was on a branch with one of the many Red-eyed
      Vireos that were flying around the oak hammocks. We saw the Blackpoll
      twice. It was dull greenish with pale legs and bright orange feet, very
      white undertail coverts, darks streaks on the back, and faint streaks on
      the breast. There was no hint of any bay or pink color on the sides or
      flanks. Other birds we saw that were not mentioned in Jack's post
      included

      1 adult Peregrine Falcon
      1 Chuck-wills-widow
      1 Eastern Phoebe (first of fall for us)
      3 Rough-winged Swallows
      1 House Wren
      1 Scarlet Tanager
      1 Rose-breasted Grosbeak (immature male)

      The wildflowers in the scrub were in full bloom - gorgeous!

      Dean and Sally Jue
      Tallahassee, FL
      dsjue@...