Broad-winged Hawk

  • Don Morrow
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 2, 2013
      I had my FOS Broad-wing, yesterday. Great-crested are calling and a Hooded Warbler is hanging out in my backyard .

      Sent from my iPhone
    • Jim Stevenson
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 2, 2013
        I just received a photo from a lady of a Harris’ Hawk along the Lighthouse Road, and (as you might suspect) it had a leather legging. Some may think this a Short-tailed Hawk (or whatever) and I figured somebody would soon report it to this Listserve, or whatever. So, this is preemptive. [Is that how you spell it?]
        This species is not uncommonly owned for falconry, and I believe I remember my friend Jack Rudloe having one at the lab in Panacea some years ago.
        Good birding,
        Jim

      • Grayal Farr
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 2, 2013
          I think the term you want is “jesses.” Yes, Harris’ hawks are popular falconer’s birds. I don’t know who might be flying them around here, but if a local has lost a bird I think odds are good somebody he or she knows will see tis post.

          A few years ago I got a call from North Carolina. The caller’s son, a Chiles High student, had seen a Harris’, with jesses, in a tree near the school and called his mom, who got my name from her North American Falconry Association (NAFA) address book. I checked with the only person I knew at the time who was flying a Harris’ in the area. Not his bird. And then I got a call (made a call?) either from the Chiles student or his mom stating that the bird had moved on.

          FWC licenses falconers. Somebody at FWC could tell who in the area (assuming the owner is from Florida, and licensed) is flying Harris’ and check with them.

          Grayal Earle Farr

          Back to the Pleistocene!

          (850) 544-1169

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 9, 2013
            The other day I mentioned that I had heard Broad-winged Hawks calling at
            Torreya State Park (Liberty Co) and that I have heard them there for the
            last three years at the particular foot race that I was doing. I went on to
            add that I then never hear or see one the rest of the summer. Well, this
            morning there was one calling and observed soaring above my home in the
            Glendale neighborhood, mid-Tallahassee.

            Gary Griffin
            Tallahassee

            "... let us run with perseverance the race that is set before us."
            Hebrews 12:1