Re: [nflbirds] Unusual for Welby Way Pond

  • Robert Lengacher
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 22, 2013
      Harry,

      Nice find birding while driving:).

      I'd like to note that I have seen Limpkins in recent years at Goose Pond
      along Potts Road, which is just about 1 km due west from the pond at Welby
      Way as the crow flies. I agree that the pond at Welby Way is a lot stranger
      habitat choice than Goose Pond.

      Best regards,

      Rob Lengacher
      Tallahassee, FL

      On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 8:11 PM, Harry Hooper <sn_egret@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Evening nflbirders,
      >
      > As Lynn and I headed north after dinner out around 6:45pm this evening ,
      > we noted in the fading light what appeared to be a dark ibis at the north
      > end of the Welby Way Pond located on the east side of Capital Circle
      > NE just south of Centerville Road. Pulling around to Welby Way to get a
      > better look at the so called "ibis", we discovered that the bird was
      > actually a Limpkin. The first that I can remember viewing adjacent to a
      > busy road in Tally. Once the bird spotted us, it flew to the roof of an
      > office on the north side of the pond and proceeded to give an alarm call
      > toward us that was similar to a slow repetitive clucking or cackling call,
      > not the wailing call we normally hear. Never heard that call before. A
      > nice bird at an odd location.
      >
      > Harry Hooper
      > Tallahassee, Florida

      Robert "Rob" Lengacher

    • Robert Gundy
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 23, 2013
        I'd like to add that two Limpkins have also been seen at a pond on Capital Circle NE right beside the TMH Diabetes Clinic. I saw one of them there two weeks ago. If you check eBird, they have been routinely found in ponds in the area for the last couple years actually.

        -Robert Gundy