Unusual for Welby Way Pond

  • Harry Hooper
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 22, 2013
      Evening nflbirders,

      As Lynn and I headed north after dinner out around 6:45pm this evening , we noted in the fading light what appeared to be a dark ibis at the north end of the Welby Way Pond located on the east side of Capital Circle NE just south of Centerville Road.  Pulling around to Welby Way to get a better look at the so called "ibis", we discovered that the bird was actually a Limpkin. The first that I can remember viewing adjacent to a busy road in Tally.  Once the bird spotted us, it flew to the roof of an office on the north side of the pond and proceeded to give an alarm call toward us that was similar to a slow repetitive clucking or cackling call, not the wailing call we normally hear. Never heard that call before.  A nice bird at an odd location.

      Harry Hooper
      Tallahassee, Florida

    • Robert Lengacher
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 22, 2013
        Harry,

        Nice find birding while driving:).

        I'd like to note that I have seen Limpkins in recent years at Goose Pond
        along Potts Road, which is just about 1 km due west from the pond at Welby
        Way as the crow flies. I agree that the pond at Welby Way is a lot stranger
        habitat choice than Goose Pond.

        Best regards,

        Rob Lengacher
        Tallahassee, FL

        On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 8:11 PM, Harry Hooper <sn_egret@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Evening nflbirders,
        >
        > As Lynn and I headed north after dinner out around 6:45pm this evening ,
        > we noted in the fading light what appeared to be a dark ibis at the north
        > end of the Welby Way Pond located on the east side of Capital Circle
        > NE just south of Centerville Road. Pulling around to Welby Way to get a
        > better look at the so called "ibis", we discovered that the bird was
        > actually a Limpkin. The first that I can remember viewing adjacent to a
        > busy road in Tally. Once the bird spotted us, it flew to the roof of an
        > office on the north side of the pond and proceeded to give an alarm call
        > toward us that was similar to a slow repetitive clucking or cackling call,
        > not the wailing call we normally hear. Never heard that call before. A
        > nice bird at an odd location.
        >
        > Harry Hooper
        > Tallahassee, Florida

        Robert "Rob" Lengacher

      • Robert Gundy
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 23, 2013
          I'd like to add that two Limpkins have also been seen at a pond on Capital Circle NE right beside the TMH Diabetes Clinic. I saw one of them there two weeks ago. If you check eBird, they have been routinely found in ponds in the area for the last couple years actually.

          -Robert Gundy