Sprague's Pipits in Taylor County

  • Bill Phelan
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 13, 2013
      While doing the Jefferson County BBA, I came across a small flock (6-8) of pipits at the Cabbage Grove WMA off Hwy 98, west of the bridge over the Econfina River.
      (This block of the Jefferson County BBA is mostly in Taylor County.)

      The birds were in the burned field (with new grass coming in) about 1/4 mile north of the Hwy.
      To differentiate them from American pipits that I have seen several times before, these birds were streaked in two shades of brown on the back and head; they had prominent white outer tail feathers and the faces were not gray or dark.
      They were walking low in the windrows so it was hard to see them at times. But I did get some good looks with binoculars.
      (I had neglected to bring my scope or camera.)
      Their behavior was not quite according to Sibley. They did fly when approached, but did not do the high flying and swooping that Sibley describes.
      Since I have not been at this WMA since last August, I don't know how long the birds have been there.
      They are a life bird for me. Does anyone know if they have been seen in Taylor County before?
      Bill Phelan