Early Nesting Record C Wrens Fledged Successfully

  • glendajoyce6009
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 7, 2013
      The Carolina Wrens that were nesting in my garage, successfully fledged,their brood of four, this past Sunday. It was a 24 hour ordeal, before the last one made it out to the shrubs. The following day, I spotted an adult feeding one, with behavior indicating others were being fed, close by, and again, yesterday, and today, so I'm hoping all four have survived, thus far.

      Completed nest was found Jan. 22

      Four eggs were found Feb.3, with estimated first egg laid Jan.31

      Hatch date was Feb. 16

      Fledging on March 3

      Below are direct links to the few pictures I got, which was a challenge to get. The ones of the nestlings were taken with a cell phone. I only took quick looks, when I saw both adults, out foraging together. I did not approach the box after the nestlings were ten days old. The video clips of the adults feeding the young were taken with me standing on a ladder, from a different location in my garage, with my 400mm lens resting on a little beanbag, on top of the 6 ft ladder.

      Glenda Simmons
      Eastside Tallahassee

      Nesting

      http://glendasimmonsphotography.com/p803461944