Second Broad-billed Hummingbird in Tallahassee

  • Fred Dietrich
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2, 2013
      On March 1, 2013 I banded an adult male Broad-billed hummingbird just west of Tallahassee near the Junior Museum.  The bird showed up just after the large rain event that dropped 14 inches of rain here.  This is the 7th record of a Broad-billed in Florida, with one seen in Pensacola right after hurricane Ivan came through and one seen in the Orlando area.  Other birds were banded in Blountstown, Jacksonville, Eastpoint and two in Tallahassee this year.

      The host, Chris Bittle, said people are welcome to come and see the bird that has been feeding in the back yard since it was banded.  The house is located at 2335 Cypress Cove Drive.  You do not have to call before you come but please don't arrive before 8:00am.  There is a wrought iron gate on the left side of the house that is closed with a velcro strap and the feeder is the one away from the house near a tea olive tree.

      The adult female Broad-billed that was banded east of Tallahassee was on site for 5 weeks but has not been seen since February 15th.

      Fred Dietrich
      (850) 591-7430