Re: [nflbirds] Wrens Already Incubating

  • RickLWest@...
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 6, 2013
      Hi Glenda and all --

      Your C Wrens are indeed nesting very early, incubating by 2/2, completed
      nest by 1/22. The earliest egg report by Stevenson & Anderson in Birdlife of
      Florida is 4 eggs by 28 Feb at Lake Pierce, but the nest was deserted and
      the eggs did not hatch. Tom Haggerty reported earliest egg on 26 March in NW
      Alabama (Birds of North Am). He spoke of 2nd and 3rd broods being fairly
      regular.
      Take care of your wrens, they may desert this early in the season. If they
      hatch, you have material for a brief note in FL Field Naturalist - giving
      the date of nest completion, date of 4 eggs being incubated, and hatching
      date.
      Congratulations!

      I think you once told me where you live. Please tell me again (off line) so
      I can fit you observation into a Block for the Breeding Bird Atlas.

      When the atlas is over, we can collate all the breeding dates and provide
      more information for Florida. This was not possible for the 1st BBA, 25
      years ago.

      Thanks,
      Rick West
      Tallahassee
      -------------

      In a message dated 2/3/2013 7:53:49 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      glendajoyce6009@... writes:

      I discovered, today, that my Carolina Wren is already incubating four eggs.
      I watched her enter the nest, late yesterday afternoon, and not come out,
      so she has been incubating, for at least two days. I found the completed
      nest on Jan. 22, but did not anticipate them using it, this soon. The nest is
      in my first bluebird box, placed on top of a shelving unit in my garage. I
      placed this box, there, for this purpose, after the wrens nested in a
      different location in my garage, a couple of years ago. These wrens are smart.
      It is unlikely they would encounter any predators, the nest will be
      protected from the elements, and they will have their private mealworm feeder.

      I do not have access to any detail nesting dates data, and would like to
      know how early this nesting attempt is, compared to typical dates for our
      area. Does anyone have any info on this, whey would share? I know that two
      broods, a year, is typical, with three, often in the south, but with their
      nesting attempt starting in January, I'm betting they will go for four.

      Glenda Simmons
      Eastside Tallahassee