Costa's still present

  • ROC
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 4, 2013
      Lydia and I finally got a chance to see the 1st year Costa's hummingbird yesterday. It showed up twice to feed at the feeder on the fire thorn side of the yard. The diversity and sheer number of birds present in the rain was impressive as well. The Costa's never approached the feeder when the Rufous was present so there may be a pecking order for the sugar water.

      I guess we should comment on the Razorbills, we've seen them in two counties Wakulla and Franklin, prior to Christmas. We/Lydia managed to get a picture of while we watched them feeding at the SMNWR site. For the first hour that we watched they were widely scattered and not clearly visible without a spotting scope. About an hour before sunset they moved within 75 feet of the jetty's end where the water rips through depending on the tides etc. Just at sunset they bunched up closely and then flew in a southeasterly direction. There were seven in one of the photos, it was pretty neat to see them foraging just under the surface.

      Rodney and Lydia Cassidy
      Tallahassee, Florida