St. George Is./ 30 Sep 01

  • Jack Dozier
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2001
      John Murphy and I checked out the youth camping area in the park for about
      an hour and a half this afternoon. It was pretty birdy with a lot getting
      away from us. A merlin slowed down the activity somewhat. It vocalized
      several times quite strongly. This is the first time I can remember
      hearing a Merlin.

      We saw 12 species of warblers with BAY-BREASTED WARBLER being the best (my
      first of the season). Redstarts were best represented in numbers.

      Several Swainson's and a couple of Wood Thrushes were flushed to the tree tops.

      Some other migrants:

      N. Harrier
      E. Wood Pewee
      Barn Swallow
      Ruby-cr. Kinglet
      White-eyed Vireo
      Red-eyed Vireo
      Blue Grosbeak
      Indigo Bunting
      Baltimore Oriole

      2 Gray Kingbirds were on the power lines in Eastpoint. Getting scarce
      around here now.

      Jack Dozier
      Alligator Pt., FL
      jdozier@...