Rhoden Cove Road pond

  • Harry Hooper
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2012
       Afternoon nflbirders,

      With backyard feeders generally quiet and staying close to home due to my mom's health, Lynn and I birded the Rhonden Cove Road pond and the adjacent forested wetlands this morning. Due to lack of rain, the level of the pond has dropped several feet exposing mud flats.  We counted 24 species, the best being a beautiful Wilson's Snipe.  Additionally, 66 White Ibis were actively feeding amongst 30 Canada geese in the pond.  With the weather staying rather warm, we also spotted four species of butterflies, Orange Sulphur, Common Buckeye, Gulf Fritillary, and Pearl Crescent.  Additionally, returning home, a beautiful Zebra Heliconian butterfly was investigating the tickseed.

      Birds seen at the pond this morning (0955-1120 hrs)
      *Canada Goose:  30
      *Great Egret:  1
      *Snowy Egret:  1
      *White Ibis:  65 adults and 1 first winter bird
      *Killdeer:  5
      *Greater Yellowlegs:  1
      *Lesser Yellowlegs:  4
      *Wilson's Snipe: 1