Re: [nflbirds] Red-necked Grebe & Surf Scoters Elberta Tallahassee

  • Robert Lengacher
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 14, 2012
      Elliot, Your question about Lake Elberta is really provocative. A search of
      "Church's Chicken pond" and Lake Elberta turns up some good inland
      sightings over the years. Probably the most spectacular former sighting was
      the Red-throated Loon in 2002 (if memory serves correctly).

      I would love to hear from someone with actual expertise on this subject,
      but here is my attempt at an uninformed hypothesis: I suspect that the very
      tall, steep sides shield the pond from the surrounding area and traffic
      reducing disturbances that would drive many species away, and the water is
      consistently deep enough to be friendly to diving ducks and probably to
      support a good population of food that these birds favor. The sizable
      presence of other species may also be attractive to less common species as
      well.

      Rob Lengacher
      Tallahassee, FL

      --