Bald Point: an odd Says Phoebe, Western Kingbird & more

  • Bill Phelan
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 16, 2012

      Went to Bald Point chasing the cold front, but forgot to bring my camera.

      At end of road, near the fishing dock, spent 15 minutes studying a Says Phoebe that was flycatching from the same branch with two Eastern Phoebes.

      It was the same size and had same behavior as the Easterns--tail dipping, flycatching.

      While Sibley's and Nat Geo describe a "pale rufous" or "tawny" belly, this bird was bright pink from vent to mid-breast.

      The throat and top third of breast  were streaky gray.  And the forehead was pink in a certain light.  All of this coloration differs from the guides.

      The Western Kingbird was flycatching near the boardwalk/observation deck near the end of the road.

      Other highlights with this cold front:

      ~200 white pelicans soaring high

      Many dozens of palm warblers arrived with the winds and were seen in flocks throughout the morning.

      Other warblers:  Many yellow rumps.  1 blackpoll, 1 black throated green, 1 yellow throated, 1 common yellowthroat, 1 (Northern?) waterthrush

      4 M erlins seen in same binoc view

      2 P eregrine falcons interacting

      B ald eagles: 2 adults, 1 juvenile

      House wren

      2 YB sapsuckers

      1 Chipping and 1 swamp sparrow

      summer tanager

      Great day for birding.  Wish I didn't forget the camera.

      Bill Phelan

    • Jim Stevenson
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 16, 2012
        Hi Bill,

        Is it possible your bird was an immature Vermilion Flycatcher?

        Jim in Galveston