Bald Point: an odd Says Phoebe, Western Kingbird & more

  • Bill Phelan
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 16, 2012
      Hi all,

      Went to Bald Point chasing the cold front, but forgot to bring my camera.

      At end of road, near the fishing dock, spent 15 minutes studying a Says Phoebe that was flycatching from the same branch with two Eastern Phoebes.

      It was the same size and had same behavior as the Easterns--tail dipping, flycatching.

      While Sibley's and Nat Geo describe a "pale rufous" or "tawny" belly, this bird was bright pink from vent to mid-breast.

      The throat and top third of breast  were streaky gray.  And the forehead was pink in a certain light.  All of this coloration differs from the guides.

      The Western Kingbird was flycatching near the boardwalk/observation deck near the end of the road.

      Other highlights with this cold front:

      ~200 white pelicans soaring high

      Many dozens of palm warblers arrived with the winds and were seen in flocks throughout the morning.

      Other warblers:  Many yellow rumps.  1 blackpoll, 1 black throated green, 1 yellow throated, 1 common yellowthroat, 1 (Northern?) waterthrush

      4 M erlins seen in same binoc view

      2 P eregrine falcons interacting

      B ald eagles: 2 adults, 1 juvenile

      House wren

      2 YB sapsuckers

      1 Chipping and 1 swamp sparrow

      summer tanager

      Great day for birding.  Wish I didn't forget the camera.

      Bill Phelan

    • Jim Stevenson
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 16, 2012
        Hi Bill,

        Is it possible your bird was an immature Vermilion Flycatcher?

        Jim in Galveston