Late Report SGI and Franklin County, plus Tom Brown Park

  • ROC
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 18, 2012
      Yellow-bellied Flycatcher...........SGI, we saw this bird two weekends in a row behind and to the left of the bathrooms @ Youth Camp. This Sunday the storms had water standing 3-4 inches deep on the trail and under the bathrooms at the Youth Camp. I only had ~ 5 species of "non-resident" warblers. Northern Waterthrush numbers picked up with the showers.

      Lydia found two Western Tanagers at the Youth Camp the Saturday before last, one "yellow" the other with 50-70% of its head still burnt orange/red. Lydia took a picture one of them.

      Two Merlin present..........e-bird says they are rare but I've seen three (close enough to split them by sex) and they've been here over a week.

      Two Peregrine Falcon.

      No luck with big numbers of warbler species in a day in Tallahassee yet this year but I haven't been to my three best (but hard to reach sites yet). Just to reduce my liability, slightly, I do have a migrant concentrating site on a burial mound (on private land in Tallahassee) . I can't divulge the location, but it is NOT one of the obvious ones on public land. I do spend way too much time outside when lightning is popping.................but even I wouldn't stand on the Lake Jackson etc. mounds to wait for warblers.

      I have seen pairs of Hooded Warblers within downtown Tallahassee areas (within the brushy buffers during summer)........I think that they are pretty easy to miss.

      We've had other rarities, and shorebird numbers and diversity has been great, (400 in one flock SGI/Dog Island sound) we even had ducks in the sound and off the beach at SGI.

      This front appears a little weak, but if I were close to a migrant trap tomorrow, I would remember to bring my binoculars.

      We've been feeding (it's probably evil) birds all year with a seemingly unlimited supply of high oil and protein bird food.........I think we've produced record crops of redbirds and wrens committing cardinal sin and producing young beyond belief.

      We have spent many days on the Lanark Reef and it is certainly a natural treasure.

      Rodney Cassidy
      Tallahassee, Florida