Veery, Black-billed Cuckoo, 10 warbler species - E. K.-Phipps, Tallahassee - 31 Aug '12

  • Elliot Schunke
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 2012
      Hi All,

      Another good day at Phipps Park this morning in Tallahassee. I saw my first of fall Veery along the Big Tree Cutoff trail. The best bird of the day, though, was a hatch-year Black-billed Cuckoo. The cuckoo was approx half-way between points G and GH along the Creek Forest Trail. It is here where a small ditch on the eastern side of the trail winds up near the trail and contains a small amount of standing water, presumably attracting birds. There were many titmice as well as one each of Black-and-white, Hooded and Kentucky warblers at this location, too.

      Other warblers present today were:
      American Redstart - 1 adult female
      Ovenbird - 2
      Prairie - 1 adult male