St Marks NWR Saturday Morning

  • Don Morrow
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 4, 2012
      Despite recent knee surgery, I managed to hobble down to the refuge for some late summer birding. It was slow desultory birding with nesting birds and a few returning migrants. The rains from Debbie have filled the ponds.

      The double bridges had hunting Red-shouldered Hawks at eye level, Red-bellied Woodpecker and a family of Parulas.

      I had a Yellow Warbler on the roadside near the East River Pool boat ramp.

      Headquarters Pond had Common and Purple Gallinules and one Coot, but was pretty quiet.

      High tide had pushed birds into the salt flats at the lighthouse. I had the following:

      Laughing Gull
      Black Skimmer
      Royal Tern
      Forester's Tern
      Sandwich Tern
      Willet
      Red Knot (five in post-breeding plumage)
      Marbled Godwit (light plumage with a reddish wash on the belly)

      At one point, I had six Ospreys in the air.

      Migration has definitely begun. My friend John Hintermister had Cerulean Warbler, today, at Suwanee River State Park and eight shorebird species in Columbia County, including Pectoral and Stilt Sandpipers. It's time to brave the heat and start birding.