St Marks NWR: Yesterday Morning

  • Don Morrow
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 21, 2012
      It happened again. I got confused on my way to work and ended up at St Marks. Fortunately, I had scope and binoculars with me.

      Mounds Pool III
      White Pelican (flock of forty sitting on mudflats)
      Roseate Spoonbill
      Reddish Egret
      Greater Scaup (around ten, only one male)
      Semipalmated Plover
      Black-bellied Plover
      Wilson's Plover
      Red Knot
      Willet
      SB Dowitcher
      Greater Yellowlegs
      BN Stilt
      Least Tern
      Forester's Tern
      Royal Tern
      Black Skimmer

      Fire Tower Pond
      Roseate Spoonbill
      Reddish Egret

      Headquarters Pond
      all the herons and egrets (Great & Little Blue, Tricolored, Green, Great, Snowy)
      Glossy Ibis
      Wood Stork
      Roseate Spoonbill
      Purple Gallinule

      Lighthouse Pond
      Roseate Spoonbill
      Reddish Egret
      Least Tern
      Forester's Tern
      Gull-billed tern
      Royal Tern
      Black Skimmer
      Willet
      SB Dowitcher
      Greater Yellowlegs
      Lesser Yellowlegs

      Summer mornings at the refuge are great and once the morning mosquitos die down it's not too buggy. There are Marsh Wrens singing along the dikes, herons flying everywhere and the occasional "guurkk" cry of baby gators from the marshes.