Perhaps It Should Be Called the Yellow Warbler Parade

  • Rob Lengacher
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2002
      Not much birding this weekend, but it has been profitable.

      Yesterday:

      I had a calling Northern Parula behind the house.

      I counted 12 Least Sandpipers on the field at Florida High in Southwood.
      They keep running the sprinklers, which makes it prime for the birds.

      Today:

      I stopped at Crowder Landing after church for just about 20 minutes with the
      munchin in tow. I was able to count 11 Yellow Warblers and one possible
      Kentucky Warbler. The latter could be heard singing back in the area by the
      "secret" trail. When I went in I caught a glimpse of a warbler pop up out
      of the grass into a tree, but I could get any other field marks. Oh well,
      it would've been a lifer. I also saw a few terns, but I wasn't paying
      enough attention to make an ID.

      It's a wonder what a few moments can bring.

      Rob Lengacher
      Tallahassee, FL
      rlengach@...