FWD: RFI: Florida hummer observations

  • Fran Rutkovsky
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 31, 2002
      NFLBirders:

      You may already know about this Florida Hummer web site. Since a male Rufous
      hummer has been seen in Gainesville, we should be on the alert for
      any "winter" hummers in the Tallahassee area as well.
      Check out this site.

      Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 16:25:33 -0400
      Sender: Florida Birds <FLORIDABIRDS-L@...>
      Subject: RFI: Florida hummer observations

      All,

      I'm requesting information on hummingbird sightings in Florida. I've set up a
      web page (Florida Hummer Home Page) describing my study at:
      http://rowdy13.tripod.com/floridahummers/home.html
      I'm asking for past sightings which I will list on the following web page:
      http://rowdy13.tripod.com/floridahummers/records.html
      Past sightings of non-Ruby-throated Hummingbirds and/or past or current
      sightings of any wintering or breeding hummers can be submitted at:
      http://rowdy13.tripod.com/floridahummers/hummerdataform.html
      or by e-mailing me at backes@... .

      Please take the time to read the Florida Hummer Home Page. Ruby-throated
      Hummingbirds have been migrating through for the past month and a half. They
      will continue to migrate through into October. Others will stay the winter.
      Rufous or Black-chinneds (and other western species) are not usually reported
      until December (often during CBCs) but are possible in September and October.

      Thanks,

      Steve Backes
      Valrico, FL
      backes@...

      --

      Fran C. Rutkovsky
      Tallahassee, FL
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 5, 2002

        Yesterday morning we went down to Saint Marks NWR. The highlight was 12
        species of shorebirds in Tower Pool. There were a large number of OSPREYS,
        at least 5, and also at least 50 BLUE-WINGED TEAL in Stony Bayou #1.
        Finally, an EMPIDONAX SP. was foraging in the woods over the visitor's
        center boardwalk.

        Sightings:
        Pied-billed Grebe
        Brown Pelican
        Double-crested Cormorant
        Anhinga
        Great Blue Heron
        Great Egret
        Snowy Egret
        Little Blue Heron
        Tricolored Heron
        Reddish Egret
        Turkey Vulture
        Osprey
        Purple Gallinule
        Common Moorhen
        Black-bellied Plover *in tower pool
        Semipalmated Plover *
        AMERICAN AVOCET (2) *
        Black-necked Stilt *
        Greater Yellowlegs *
        Lesser Yellowlegs *
        Willet *
        Marbled Godwit *
        Ruddy Turnstone
        Western Sandpiper *
        Semipalmated Sandpiper *
        Least Sandpiper *
        White-rumped Sandpiper
        Pectoral Sandpiper *
        Short-billed Dowitcher
        Laughing Gull
        Royal Tern
        Forster's Tern
        Black Skimmer
        Yellow-billed Cuckoo
        Belted Kingfisher
        EMPIDONAX SP. (1)
        Eastern Kingbird
        White-eyed Vireo (heard only)
        Brown-headed Nuthatch
        Northern Mockingbird
        Yellow Warbler
        Northern Cardinal
        Red-winged Blackbird
        Brown-headed Cowbird
        Boat-tailed Grackle

        We also visited SMNWR early Tuesday afternoon. Birds seen then but not
        Wednesday were: White Ibis, Sanderling, BLACK TERN (2), Common Ground-Dove,
        Barn Swallow, Northern Parula, Prairie Warbler, Carolina Wren, and
        heard-only Blue-gray Gnatcatcher.

        -S.P.McCool
        Crawfordville, Wakulla County, Florida

        ---