Solitary Sandpiper at Kingfisher Pond and a Speech

  • Rob Lengacher
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 29, 2002
      I made a brief stop at Kingfisher Pond (located in the Southwood development on Tram Road) to see if I could locate any more warblers or shorebirds. No dice on the warblers, but I did get a great look at my first SOLITARY SANDPIPER. Great details: greenish legs, charcoal back peppered with white spots, white "eye ring", even a nice look at black spots along outer tail feathers. This was definitely not the large sandpiper I saw yesterday.

      I also made a brief stop on the north side of Shumard Oak Blvd to check out the pond and the oaks of the "Southwood Nature Trail". Not much going on: lots of Bluebirds, Red-Headed and Red-Bellied Woodpeckers, Wood Storks, at least 10 Snowy Egrets.

      I did pick up 2 Northern Parula Warblers palling around with the many Blue-gray Gnatcatchers. Another nice bird was a lone Eastern Kingbird.

      Note to Jack Dozier: I found your missing Brown-headed Cowbirds. There was a large flock (300+) blanketing the batting cages at Florida High. I scanned the flock for Bronzed or Shiny , but no luck. Oh well, I told them to fly a little further south and ask for Dozier's place. Hope they make it.;)

      Speech time: I find myself birding more and more WITHOUT a field guide on my person. I tend to focus much more on the details of the bird and don't try so much to "make it into something" I really want to see. I know I'm still a fairly new birder, but I've found my observational skills become sharper when I'm not carrying the guide. So I guess this is a challenge to newer birders; carry a notepad instead of a field guide and do your checking back at the car. It's really tough to let go of that lifeline, but you may find that you become a better birder because of it.

      Later,
      Rob Lengacher
      Tallahassee, FL
      rlengach@...

    • Swamphen
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 30, 2002
        Did a little birding this afternoon:

        Mash Island County Park, Ochlockonee Bay:
        Great Egret
        Osprey
        Black-bellied Plover
        Semipalmated Plover