St Marks NWR-Sunday Morning

  • Don Morrow
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2012
      During a three-hour foray into the refuge, I logged 77 species; a mix of resident, returning migrants and lingering winter birds.

      Yellow-throated Vireos were calling at the Double Bridges.

      On tower pond trail in the thick oak woodland behind the bathrooms, I had Prairie, Palm, Yellow-rumped, Black & White and Parula Warblers, Red-eyed Vireos , Blue-Grey Gnatcatchers and a male Summer Tanager. There were also White-throated Sparrows and Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers.

      Other highlights included:

      Lighthouse flats
      Willet
      Dunlin
      Red Knot
      Common Tern
      Royal Tern

      Tower Pond (I estimated a total of 600 shorebirds)
      White Pelican (a single bird that has been there for several weeks)
      Black-bellied Plover
      Semipalmated Plover
      Black-necked Stilt
      Greater Yellowlegs
      Willet
      Marbled Godwit
      Ruddy Turnstone
      Western Sandpiper
      Dunlin
      Short-billed Dowitcher

      Offshore
      Common Loon
      Horned Grebe
      Bufflehead
      no Scaup or Redhead rafts
      American Oystercatcher (on bars at the mouth of the St Marks River)

      There are lingering ducks. I had scattered Lesser Scaup, Bufflehead (all female), Shoveler, Blue-winged Teal and Red-breasted Merganser.

    • Don Morrow
      Message 2 of 2 , May 19, 2013
        I got out early with my wife, Ann, to check for loons. We had three loons between 6:27 am and 7:27 am. Shorebirds are still moving, but landbird migration seems to be over.

        From the lighthouse viewing platform (several Clapper and one Sora calling)
        Horned Grebe (several all in breeding plumage)
        Caspian Tern
        Common Tern
        Whimbrel (lighthouse flats)
        Marbled Godwit (lighthouse flats)
        Black-bellied Plover (lighthouse flats)
        Least Bittern

        Tower Pond (high tide on the gulf)
        Semipalmated Plover
        Wilson's Plover
        Black-bellied Plover
        Spotted Sandpiper
        Stilt Sandpiper
        Semipalmated Sandpiper
        Dunlin
        Willet
        Short-billed Dowitcher
        Lesser Yellowlegs
        Black-necked Stilt (four)
        Black Skimmer
        Common Tern
        Gull-billed Tern

        The only duck that I had was a BW Teal on Tower Pond. Purple Gallinule are regular on Headquarters Pond, which indicates that they are breeding there.

        The wildflowers along the entrance road from US 98 are great.

        Good Birding.