Hummers?

  • SPM
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 15, 2012
      My dad said he saw a hummingbird in the yard yesterday. Has anyone else
      seen any yet?

      -Sean P. McCool
      Wakulla County, Florida, USA
    • bessinger janice
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 16, 2012
        I've had a Ruby-throated hummer for about 10 days now but it has been a poor year for goldfinches.  Usually I have 50+ but this year there I have not seen more than 6 at any one time.
        Janice Bessinger
        Macclenny, FL

      • Janeen Langley
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 16, 2012
          Sean,
          I had my first one at the feeder on March 5. Since then, they have been
          moving through daily- all males. I'm sure the females will show up soon.

          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 16, 2012
            This, our only eastern species of hummer, has actually been seen arriving occasionally in late February. And yes, the males do show up first, despite their inability to stop and ask for directions (maybe the gals have more luggage). It is not unusual to see them anytime in March.

            It has always been curious to me that the only breeding hummer in the East is almost the least likely to winter. As they say in Louisiana, Geaux figger.

            They also join a number of birds in being trans-Gulf in spring but largely circum-Gulf in fall. Here in Texas, they are seen in droves in September, flying right down the beach, following the contour of the Gulf’s edge.

            BTW, early arriving RTs are quite fond of the colorful thistles that grow along the roadsides.

            This year’s jet stream, staying so far to the North, won’t produce many exciting days for bird groundings (until things change), but is better for the survival rate of the incoming. Of course, that does little for Natural Selection. Life’s a series of compromises.

            Have a nice weekend,

            Jim

          • Vincent P Lucas
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 16, 2012
              FYI . . . .

              Ruby-throated Hummingbirds are here all winter in SW FL and breed at
              places like Corkscrew Sanctuary here in Collier County . . . .

              Vince

              Vincent P. Lucas
              Naples, FL
              vplucas@...
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/leppyone/

              On Mar 16, 2012, at 8:03 AM, Jim Stevenson wrote:

              > This, our only eastern species of hummer, has actually been seen
              > arriving occasionally in late February. And yes, the males do show
              > up first, despite their inability to stop and ask for directions
              > (maybe the gals have more luggage). It is not unusual to see them
              > anytime in March.
              >
              > It has always been curious to me that the only breeding hummer in
              > the East is almost the least likely to winter. As they say in
              > Louisiana, Geaux figger.
              >
              > They also join a number of birds in being trans-Gulf in spring but
              > largely circum-Gulf in fall. Here in Texas, they are seen in droves
              > in September, flying right down the beach, following the contour of
              > the Gulf�s edge.
              >
              > BTW, early arriving RTs are quite fond of the colorful thistles that
              > grow along the roadsides.
              >
              > This year�s jet stream, staying so far to the North, won�t produce
              > many exciting days for bird groundings (until things change), but is
              > better for the survival rate of the incoming. Of course, that does
              > little for Natural Selection. Life�s a series of compromises.
              >
              > Have a nice weekend,
              >
              > Jim

            • Jim Stevenson
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 16, 2012
                Ruby-throated Hummingbirds are here all winter in SW FL and breed at
                places like Corkscrew Sanctuary here in Collier County . . . .

                Quite correct. I keep thinking of this listserve as "North" Florida Birds.

                Jim in Galveston
              • Vincent P Lucas
                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 16, 2012
                  You, too, are correct, except that many of your posts paint a broad
                  picture of the entire East Coast or Texas, Louisiana, etc. and are not
                  confined to NFL . . . .

                  On Mar 16, 2012, at 9:26 AM, Jim Stevenson wrote:

                  > Ruby-throated Hummingbirds are here all winter in SW FL and breed
                  > at places like Corkscrew Sanctuary here in Collier County . . . .
                  >

                  > Quite correct. I keep thinking of this listserve as "North" Florida
                  > Birds.
                  >
                  > Jim in Galveston
                • John Murphy
                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 2, 2012
                    Big Bend Birders,

                    I am currently accepting reports of significant fall (1 August - 30 November ) sightings from the Big Bend (Gadsden, Liberty, Gulf, Franklin, Wakulla, Leon & Jefferson counties) for possible publication in FLORIDA FIELD NATURALIST & NORTH AMERICAN BIRDS. Please use the following format, listing observations in phylogenetic order:

                    Species
                    Number of individuals
                    Location
                    Date
                    Observer(s)

                    Additionally, please include field notes, detailed description or photographs of any rare species, or species which present an identification challenge.

                    If you have any questions, please contact me at southmoonunder@...

                    Thanks very much.

                    John Murphy
                    Alligator Pt, FL

                  • John Murphy

                        Message 11 of 19 , Dec 8, 2013

                          Greetings Birders:

                          Has anyone looked for the Vermilion Flycatcher at St. Marks lately?  I haven't seen any mention of it for weeks.  I was also wondering if anyone has seen Snow Geese, Ross's Geese, or Pintail ducks this year?  I had all of these species last December, but need them for my 2013 list.  Any other unusual species?  I was thinking about driving down this week.  Thanks.

                          Marv

                          Marvin T. Smith

                          Valdosta.GA

                          Message 12 of 19 , Dec 8, 2013
                            Elliot Schunke had a Vermillion on Stony Bayou II. I was just passing through and there is no wintering bird there. I was there earlier today and couldn't come up with a Vermillion.

                            A single Snow Goose was at the refuge about a week ago, but is also gone. No Ross's have been reported.

                            Pintails are easy on the North end of Mounds Pool II I had thirty of them there earlier today. Go left at the T dike.

                            I've had about 19 species of waterfowl at the refuge this year.