Eastern Meadowlarks - Miccosukee Greenway, Tallahassee

  • Gary Griffin
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 2 8:42 AM
      I don't know if this is a big deal to any of you but it was to me because I
      grew up with these birds down in Homestead and I get to see them in mass so
      infrequently these days, so .. when I encountered a flock of 15 Eastern
      Meadowlarks while running at the Miccosukee Greenway up near I-10 this
      morning, I was a happy camper. The Cedar Waxwings were having a nice morning
      out there as well - hundreds of them.

      Gary Griffin
      Tallahassee

      "... let us run with perseverance the race that is set before us."
      Hebrews 12:1

    • Jim Stevenson
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 2 8:50 AM
        Eastern Meadowlarks are examples of a phenomenon called augmentation, where they are present in small numbers in the Deep South all year, but are joined by many more from the north, fall through spring. These birds you are seeing, Gary, may be EAMEs staging for their flight back to their breeding grounds. As the earth has warmed, winter residents are departing earlier and earlier, and some aren’t even bothering to come this far south. Good luck finding many ducks at the lighthouse by mid-March nowadays!

        Waxwings are another interesting story. They will leave the area by the end of March, be quite scarce in April, and suddenly appear in late April and early May again. WTH? Well, it seems our winter resident waxwings head north in late winter and early spring, but those wintering in places further south (chiefly the Yucatan) don’t leave there until late spring. Er go, they re-emerge long after our “regular” waxwings have left. In my masters work around 1980, it sure threw me for a loop!

        It was great seeing many of you in December!

        Jim
        Galveston