"Lake Henrietta"

  • Fran Rutkovsky
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 29, 2011
      For anyone planning to go to the AAS Birding Social on Sat. morning at Lake Henrietta, or for anyone just wanting
      to check out this Tallahassee winter hot spot, I'm re-posting part of a Gail Menk message from March 2009.

      ANOTHER RECOMMENDED BIRDING SITE IN LEON COUNTY

      At one time Lake Henrietta was an impenetrable swampy morass
      fed by Munson Slough. It has recently been impounded and
      converted into a most attractive recreational site, Lake Henrietta
      Park, which consists of a 2.3 mile paved road for bikers and pedestrians
      ONLY which encircles the lake.

      To reach Lake Henrietta Park, drive south from Florida State University
      on Lake Bradford Road until it veers to the right. Continue straight
      ahead (left part of the "wish bone") on Springhill road, cross Orange
      Avenue and drive less than a mile, cross Munson Slough and turn
      almost immediately left into the park, which is open to the public
      sun-up to sun-down.

      There are restroom facilities at the park entrance.

      --------
      Fran Rutkovsky
      Tallahassee, FL
      franrutkovsky@...

    • borrors
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 30, 2011
        Can anyone recommend a site in or near the Jacksonville/St. Augustine area? I am definitely not seeing the same amount of birds that you are seem to be reporting. Any guidance on where I might go would be greatly appreciated!
        Shawn
      • Robert Lengacher
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 30, 2011
          Shawn,

          I'll venture into this topic by giving very general advice. Stop at places
          that have the potential to be birdy that are close to you. While this seems
          vague, a couple of guidelines will probably generate good results pretty
          quickly. Be on the lookout for the following types of places:

          - *Water* of any kind (Retention ponds, creeks, natural ponds, lakes) -
          These are usually great for ducks, shorebirds and waders. It probably won't
          take you long to find the most productive ponds. There are usually some
          other songbirds found close by as well.
          - *Weedy fields* - Vacant lots are usually great for finding sparrows in
          winter. Although they are often on private property, you can find birds by
          standing near the edge of the field and pishing (you can Google this if you
          are not familiar with it) or just patiently watching. Undeveloped
          subdivisions may be great since there are usually roads and sidewalks with
          weedy lots, bushes, and trees around.
          - *Boundaries between habitats* - These edge habitats are always
          promising when I am cruising for new spots to find birds. If you see a line
          of trees (or a forest) next to a field, try walking parallel to this
          boundary in the more open field. You will often see birds that favor both
          habitats, and many types of raptors like these edges because they provide
          great hunting. Don't bother heading into a forest unless you have a
          specific species to find, the edges are almost always more satisfying.
          - *The Beach* - Sandy beaches and rocky shorelines or jetties provide
          great places to see shorebirds, gulls, terns, pelicans, sea ducks, and
          other water-loving birds if you have the patience to sort them out.
          - *Parks and Refuges* - These areas often provide a good mix of the
          types of habitats listed above, and many cities have plenty to choose from.

          Of course, you can check the archives of the birding lists (nflbirds,
          BRDBRAINS, FLORIDABIRDS-L) to find records of nearby locations that have
          been productive. Other good resources: "A Birders Guide to Florida" by Bill
          Pranty and the Great Florida Birding
          Trail<http://floridabirdingtrail.com/index.php/trip/trails/east/>
          .

          Make it a habit to stop often just to see what you can find. Many folks
          spend a tremendous amount of time, energy, and money traveling all over to
          see birds, but I think it is best to stick close to home as you build a
          mental model of the types of habitats that birds seem to favor. This will
          make your larger birding trips more enjoyable and productive. I hope others
          will add to this list as well.

          Keep looking up!

          Rob Lengacher

          Tallahassee, FL

          --
          Robert "Rob" Lengacher

        • Pamela Kaiser
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 30, 2011
            Time is also important.  Early mornings and late afternoons.
            Weather is also a factor.

            Pamela K Kaiser and the Tallahassee Flock (Hektor, Toby, Sonny {RIP My Sweet Baby Boy!} and Rainbow Peep)

            Birds are indicators of the environment. If they are in trouble, we know we'll soon be in trouble.
            Roger Tory Peterson

            --
            Robert "Rob" Lengacher